53rd N.C.B. GUAM, July 21, 1944

At Guam, Marianas, Islands, two beach parties from the 53rd N.C.B., One officer and 17 enlisted men, equipped with several tractors, landed on D-Day (H-plus-5 minutes), July 21, 1944, with special mission to assist unloading a Marine Battery of Sherman Tanks from LCM's and LCT's at the edge of the reef at Agat Beach. This task was finished within an hour under heavy enemy mortar and machine gun fire. Three of the Sherman Tanks dropped into bomb craters on their way in from the reef to shore and were submerged. This party volunteered to rescue these tanks safely and succeeded in getting two of the tanks safely to the beach in two hours, under heavy fire. A second beach party of five enlisted men was assigned the task of operating a North West Crane, mounted on a pontoon barge and anchored off the reef of Agat Beach, to unload gasoline and ammunition from LCT's to LVT's in support of assault troops. The party, in charge of the same officer Lt. Reeves, landed on D-Day (H-plus-5) and worked day and night for five days, never leaving the barge. This barge was under heavy mortar fire for the first four days. An LST anchored alongside was hit by enemy artillery and withdrew. The remainder of the battalion moved ashore on D-plus-2 and established, maintained, and constructed roads and bridges in support of the assault troops. The Battalion's beach camp was under enemy artillery fire for four hours on D-plus-3. No enemy air raids were experienced, but sniper fire was in evidence, for a nine months period after D-day, in jungle locations. The 53rd's Demolition Squad, consisted of a Chief Petty Officer and 13 enlisted men. This squad cleared all beaches, roads, and areas ahead of the construction troops over a nine months period. Both Beach Parties have been recommended for special suitable awards. Before jungle could be cleared for road building operations, the squad had first to go out with it's mine detectors. Their efforts saved many lives among our number, without any doubt. There were also armed, unexploded naval shells to be disposed of in many places. And there were detonators to be removed from both friendly and enemy ordinance before much of it could be moved. While the 53rd NCB was attached to the 1st Provisional Marine Brigade, during the initial landing on Guam, they were detached from the Marines on July 27, 1944 and assigned to to duty under the Fifth Naval Construction Brigade.

I'm wondering if my father was part of the 53rd's Demolition Squad. My older brother remembers my Dad talking about their clearing mines and for some part of it, we think he may have received the Bronze Star. Do you have any names of this group? My father's name was Everett C. Adams, from New Hampshire. He served with the 53rd the entire time he was in the islands. He had enlisted with the Navy, became a Seabee, and was attached to the 1st Amp. He died in 1976 without ever telling us he had earned a bronze star. We have only recently learned of this medal, but have no memory of why. We remain extremely proud of our Dad's service during WWII.

Sue Adams Henry

At Guam, Marianas, Islands, two beach parties from the 53rd N.C.B., One officer and 17 enlisted men, equipped with several tractors, landed on D-Day (H-plus-5 minutes), July 21, 1944, with special mission to assist unloading a Marine Battery of Sherman Tanks from LCM's and LCT's at the edge of the reef at Agat Beach. This task was finished within an hour under heavy enemy mortar and machine gun fire. Three of the Sherman Tanks dropped into bomb craters on their way in from the reef to shore and were submerged. This party volunteered to rescue these tanks safely and succeeded in getting two of the tanks safely to the beach in two hours, under heavy fire. A second beach party of five enlisted men was assigned the task of operating a North West Crane, mounted on a pontoon barge and anchored off the reef of Agat Beach, to unload gasoline and ammunition from LCT's to LVT's in support of assault troops. The party, in charge of the same officer Lt. Reeves, landed on D-Day (H-plus-5) and worked day and night for five days, never leaving the barge. This barge was under heavy mortar fire for the first four days. An LST anchored alongside was hit by enemy artillery and withdrew. The remainder of the battalion moved ashore on D-plus-2 and established, maintained, and constructed roads and bridges in support of the assault troops. The Battalion's beach camp was under enemy artillery fire for four hours on D-plus-3. No enemy air raids were experienced, but sniper fire was in evidence, for a nine months period after D-day, in jungle locations. The 53rd's Demolition Squad, consisted of a Chief Petty Officer and 13 enlisted men. This squad cleared all beaches, roads, and areas ahead of the construction troops over a nine months period. Both Beach Parties have been recommended for special suitable awards. Before jungle could be cleared for road building operations, the squad had first to go out with it's mine detectors. Their efforts saved many lives among our number, without any doubt. There were also armed, unexploded naval shells to be disposed of in many places. And there were detonators to be removed from both friendly and enemy ordinance before much of it could be moved. While the 53rd NCB was attached to the 1st Provisional Marine Brigade, during the initial landing on Guam, they were detached from the Marines on July 27, 1944 and assigned to to duty under the Fifth Naval Construction Brigade.

Hi Sue, welcome to the forum.

I hope Thurman can provide you with some more info on the Seabees.

What i have found is there is an asscociation website for the 53rd. If you contact them they might be of ssome help to you.

MCB 53 ALUMNI ASSOCIATION

According to the NAVAL HISTORY BIBLIOGRAPHIES page, the is a History of the 53 NCB, but i have been unable to find an available copy. Ask the association contact about it.

http://www.history.navy.mil/biblio/biblio2/biblio2n.htm

Thanks for assisting Sue, Larry! :armata_PDT_37:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thanks for assisting Sue, Larry! :armata_PDT_37:

SUE - HERE IS THE HISTORY OF THE 53RD, I HAVE THEIR CRUISEBOOK. I'M CHECKING OUT WITH MY SOURCES. - THAT IS MY PHOTO OF SEABEE DEMO TEAM 3 ON GUAM. THE SEABEES HAD DEMOLITION SQUADS, THAT WERE DIFFERENT THAN THE "UDT" (UNDERWATER DEMO TEAMS). THE DEMOLITION SQUADS REMOVED MINES THIS IS MOST LIKELY WHAT YOUR FATHER DID.- THE UDT TEAMS DID RECON ON THE BEACHES PRIOR TO THE ASSAULT FORCES. I'LL GET BACK YO YOU.

53RD BATTALION

Alter activation at Norfolk Dec. 22, 1942, the 53rd NCB moved to Davisville, R. I., Dec. 28,

and was divided into two sections Jan. 16. 1943. The Second Section left Davisville Feb. 7

with orders to join a section of the 17th NCB to form the 120th NCB. Exact movements of

Second Section are unreported following departure from Davisville. On Feb. 12, one

company and one fourth of Headquarters Company of the First Section moved to Hadnot

Point, New River, N. C. for duty with the Fleet Marine Force. Another company, with

Headquarters group, went to San Diego for duty with FMF The Hadnot Point detachment

was transferred into Naval Construction Replacement Group, Camp Lejeune, New River,

N. C., Feb. 15. The 53rd was assigned 13 officers and 541 men from the replacement

group at Lejeune, and seven officers and 268 men from replacement groups at Camps

Elliott and Pendleton, San Diego. The contingents joined at San Diego Feb. 26, and sailed

for Noumea, New Caledonia, March 11, arriving March 25. The 53rd was designated as

Naval Construction Battalion, First Marine Amphibious Corps, April 14. The Battalion

switched operations to Guadalcanal Oct. 12, 1943, and from there sent one detachment to

Vella Lavella and several groups to Bougainville in November and December. The

Battalion regrouped at Guadalcanal in January 1944, and on May 12 was redesignated the

53rd NCB. In six echelons, the unit moved to Guam, participating in the invasion, and was

on duty there when the war ended.

Thank you Thurman. I knew you would pull through for us.

:armata_PDT_37:

Marion J Chard

Thurman... Many thanks for responding...I finally have his discharge papers. Here is what it says:

Everett C. Adams

Enlisted date:11/24/42

Active Duty Date: 3/3/43

RatingHeld SF2c (shipfitter 2nd class)

Service:

USNCTC Williamsburg,VA

ABD Port Hueneme,California

28th Replacement Battalion- SanDiego,CA

1st Marine Amp Corps

53rdNCB

His separation date was 10/14/45

I've written to the Naval Board in Missouri to obtain whatever information they have on the award of the Bronze Star. As as soon as I receive anything,I will forward to our group... Many thanks for all the info.

I do remember my mother saying that he was held at Pendleton to help train troops because he was so much older (30) than most. He shipped out just a few weeks before my older brother was born. My Mom had followed him to California and remained there for the duration of the war. When he returned from the Pacific, the three of them traveled home to NH where they lived the rest of their lives.

I have almost all the letters they wrote to each other during the time he was gone and plan to transcribe them when we return to NH (from our winter in FL) in May. As I learn more from the letters, I will happily share with all.

Best regards,

Sue Henry

SUE - HERE IS THE HISTORY OF THE 53RD, I HAVE THEIR CRUISEBOOK. I'M CHECKING OUT WITH MY SOURCES. - THAT IS MY PHOTO OF SEABEE DEMO TEAM 3 ON GUAM. THE SEABEES HAD DEMOLITION SQUADS, THAT WERE DIFFERENT THAN THE "UDT" (UNDERWATER DEMO TEAMS). THE DEMOLITION SQUADS REMOVED MINES THIS IS MOST LIKELY WHAT YOUR FATHER DID.- THE UDT TEAMS DID RECON ON THE BEACHES PRIOR TO THE ASSAULT FORCES. I'LL GET BACK YO YOU.

53RD BATTALION

Alter activation at Norfolk Dec. 22, 1942, the 53rd NCB moved to Davisville, R. I., Dec. 28,

and was divided into two sections Jan. 16. 1943. The Second Section left Davisville Feb. 7

with orders to join a section of the 17th NCB to form the 120th NCB. Exact movements of

Second Section are unreported following departure from Davisville. On Feb. 12, one

company and one fourth of Headquarters Company of the First Section moved to Hadnot

Point, New River, N. C. for duty with the Fleet Marine Force. Another company, with

Headquarters group, went to San Diego for duty with FMF The Hadnot Point detachment

was transferred into Naval Construction Replacement Group, Camp Lejeune, New River,

N. C., Feb. 15. The 53rd was assigned 13 officers and 541 men from the replacement

group at Lejeune, and seven officers and 268 men from replacement groups at Camps

Elliott and Pendleton, San Diego. The contingents joined at San Diego Feb. 26, and sailed

for Noumea, New Caledonia, March 11, arriving March 25. The 53rd was designated as

Naval Construction Battalion, First Marine Amphibious Corps, April 14. The Battalion

switched operations to Guadalcanal Oct. 12, 1943, and from there sent one detachment to

Vella Lavella and several groups to Bougainville in November and December. The

Battalion regrouped at Guadalcanal in January 1944, and on May 12 was redesignated the

53rd NCB. In six echelons, the unit moved to Guam, participating in the invasion, and was

on duty there when the war ended.

Thanks Larry - I will contact them and advise all of you what I learn...

Sue

quote name='SonofaMP' date='Feb 7 2011, 10:01 PM' post='31627']

Hi Sue, welcome to the forum.

I hope Thurman can provide you with some more info on the Seabees.

What i have found is there is an asscociation website for the 53rd. If you contact them they might be of ssome help to you.

MCB 53 ALUMNI ASSOCIATION

According to the NAVAL HISTORY BIBLIOGRAPHIES page, the is a History of the 53 NCB, but i have been unable to find an available copy. Ask the association contact about it.

http://www.history.navy.mil/biblio/biblio2/biblio2n.htm

Happy Holidays everyone.

I've been remiss in updating all of you on the search for info on my Dad - Everett C. Adams. I did hear from the Navy and they gave me his discharge papers (which I already). What was stunning is that 6 months later, a padded envelope arrived from the Navy with a fist full of medals. It blew my mind (and that of my siblings). I've shared them all with brothers and sister - and kept the Ruptured Duck for myself. I have it safely pinned inside my hand bag alongside my Mother's Red Cross Volunteer button from that time.

If it hadn't been for all of you, we'd never have even known medals were out their waiting for him.

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart and wish you a Very Merry Christmas (Holidays) and New Year.

Best regards,

Sue Henry

Dear Sue:

How utterly wonderful. It's great to hear from you and I'm so happy we could be a part of your new-found discoveries and of course the acquisition of your dad's medals. YEAH!

Thanks for stopping by and keeping us informed. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!!!

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  August 15, 1944 Walt's Daughter 4 4,469 08-17-2015, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Castle Courier Newsletter - July/Aug 2012 Walt's Daughter 2 3,222 08-15-2012, 07:12 AM
  December 24, 1944 - Chester W. Owens Walt's Daughter 1 2,944 12-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Caryl-280ECB
  36th Engineers on LCI (L) 591 9 Aug 1944 Wendy 5 5,561 06-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  September 15, 1944 - Peleliu Carolyn 2 5,983 09-15-2010, 06:54 PM
  HELP ! Sorting out military info on Engineer's grave marker (served in Guam) Robersabel 3 4,635 03-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  Seabee Demo Team - Guam Walt's Daughter 0 2,802 09-20-2008, 09:56 AM
  The 48th - 4, June 1944 Walt's Daughter 0 2,057 06-04-2007, 11:20 AM
  July 12, 1943 Licata, Sicily Walt's Daughter 0 2,515 03-05-2007, 01:59 PM
  Found my dad's name in report May 1944 Walt's Daughter 3 4,513 04-21-2006, 06:29 PM