2756th combat enginners co C

need help on anyone who knew him and how he was a non battle death (gunshot wound to the head) april 19 1945 at beckstein germany! murder or accident???

family needs help finding what happened !!!

thanks scott

That is quite a heavy-duty one! :unsure: I sure hope that someone will see the post and recognize the name from somewhere. I see in your other post where you give a bit more detail.

need help finding info on the death on my great cousin PVT Vincent P Callahan #33173283

he was member of co C 2756th combat eng. in europe he was killed by gunshot wound to head (NBD) about 1820 hrs 19 april 1945 at beckstein germany. I have copy of morning report at 1900 on same day two men were arrested pending charges:

Pvt colwell bert NMI # 3568207

Pvt juhnowski anthony j #31106477

Unsure if this is related but guessing it is ! any one outhere who has info or can help please email me at scottplen@comcast.net

family needs closure of what happened was he murdered or accidentally shot????

fought through normandy - germany just to get killed like this is a sin!!!

It is a sin to have survived Normandy and the push to Germany, just to die this way with only a few weeks before the end of the war too. How tragic! :(

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

A hard one, indeed.... I have tried but can't come up with anything that might be remotely helpfull.

I have one "similar" case in my files when a pvt was accidentally shot by his buddy when Germans plundered the barn where stores were kept and which they were gauarding. The Americans opened fire but shot one of their own.

Although accidental, the man who shot was court-marshalled, I believe.

Also read an article on line last year in which a vet confessed to his family after 60 years that he accidnetally shot a buddy during an attack. Can you imagine something like that and carrying that with you your whole life?

I am sorry this is in no way helpful. I hope you and your family will be able to find out what happened and find closure somehow.

thanks will keep you posted on any info I recieve

scott

As the fans of "Band of Brothers" know, this happened to a member of Company E of 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment.

Also, I recently received an email from someone who was inquiring for about a relative who was a non-combatant casualty. He was listed as accidental death but he had info that said he was robbed and shot---or something like that. I can't remember if it was just after the surrender or not.

Steve

need help on anyone who knew him and how he was a non battle death (gunshot wound to the head) april 19 1945 at beckstein germany! murder or accident???

family needs help finding what happened !!!

thanks scott

I am researching a female "ILse Hoffmann" who was a model and lover for the artist James Montgomery Flagg. She was married twice. The last marriage to "Vincent Callahan".

She is mentioned in Flagg's autobiography: "Roses and Buckshot", as well as Susan Meyer's 1974 biography of Flagg. She seperated from, but never divorced, Callahan.

She committed suicide 8/13/1942. Vincent P Callahan listed himself as a widower on

his enlistment papers in Oct 1942, two months have her death. His, Vincent P. Callahan, civilian occupation was listed as "Artist, scupltor, teacher of arts" and so it seems likely that Vincent P. Callahan was married to Ilse Hoffmann who played a major role in Flagg's life.

Hmmm, sure sounds like this is melding. Could prove to be an interesting turn of events.

As you can tell, we haven't had a post here in five years, so it really surprised me today.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

My mother was very close to vincent she would know something but she is very ill and can not communicate !! sorry !! I will try to talk to the remaining family most are gone !!!

but i will call my cousin and see if she knows anything? I know vincent had a brother Cornelius(Boy) Callahan he served in the Pacific but died in the 70s i think ?

Scott