Old Meets New - A Vet's Story

Old Meets New -A Vet's Story

Sam L Resnick, Past President

100th Infantry Division Association

On October 16th, I was going into NY City for a show with my wife and three friends when I accidently hit a curb and damaged my rear tire as I took a left turn onto the service road near the entrance to Ft Totten. As I pulled over to the side and began to call my road service, a biker (motorcyclist) with a camouflaged uniform shot past me and stopped abruptly in front . I was happy that I did not have to call road service and was pleased at the sight of this good Samaritan.

In a moment he was upon me grasping my shoulders and shaking my hand, "I saw your flag and then the 100th Division logos all over your car and I had to stop, thank you for your service," he said. I replied, overwhelmed and joyous at seeing the 100th Division patch on his shoulder, "I was with the 100th in World War II" and gave him a big bear hug. He proceeded to change my tire, while I, together with my wife and passengers sat on the aluminum dividers on the side of the road, astounded by the coincidence.

Soon, two other cars with soldiers from the 100th Division stopped to offer assistance but left, after being assured by SSG Jorge Rivera, that everything was being taken care of. When he finished installing the temporary small tire, Jorge and I once again shook hands and hugged each other, as I wiped away tears of joy. With promises to get together and with my phone and email address in hand, Jorge promised to call and invite us to future occasions, he was sure that all his buddies would love to hear from me.

It seems that a small cadre of 100th Division soldiers were transferred to Ft Totten for training purposes just a few months ago. I have always been proud of being part of the 100th Infantry Division during World War II and was able to initiate the installation of a street sign at the corner of Bell Blvd and 212th St , "100th Infantry Division Boulevard" and at the Cross Island Parkway and 14th Street exit, a 7- by -12 foot sign, "100th Infantry Division Memorial Parkway'". Both signs were supported and pushed through the political maze by State Senator Toby Stavisky, the then State Assemblywoman Ann-Margeret Carrozza, and the then City Councilman and now State Senator Tony Avella.

The events, the location, Ft Totten, the street and parkway signs, and the old and new 100th Division soldiers are a touching and memorable confirmation of the loyalty and bonding that men in combat have for each other.

We made our show in good time. Thank you Jorge Rivera !!!!!!!! Hopefully we can continue our bonding.

:pdt34: :pdt34: :pdt34: :pdt34: B)

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aerial chivalry- The story of Charlie Brown and Franz Stegler sixgun 1 3,692 09-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  A great story from the Pacific CaptO 1 3,903 02-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Another Patton Story jim armstroong 2 3,843 08-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Sgtleo
  "Gunner " Harry Kenton, USMC, a remarkable story James Pickering 19 197,821 06-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Last Post: texas38