345th engineers

I1m sorry, i should have mentioned the file size limit for uploads. The best thing to do is to make the large history .pdf into 2 or more parts, then you can upload the parts seperately. 2 parts should work for your 3.25mb.

The photos in the .pdf are what causes the large file size, so try to divide with an equal number of photos in each part.

Ah, looks like you guys were in good hands while I was away. Many thanks to Larry for his able assistance. :theman: I'm looking forward to the history too!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Attached is a histrory of the 345th Engineer General Service Regiment. The document is broken into 2 parts due to file size.

"In Support of ...."

subtitled

"A brief history of the 345th Engineer General Service Regiment, Covering the First three years of its existance -- From 15th June '42 to June '45."

by Lt Col Lawrence M. Hoover, Commanding Officer

Sumitted in honor of my father who was in the 345th Company F and who just passed away at age 90.

History of 345th Engineer General Service Regiment by Lt Col Lawrence M Hoover cover thru pg 5.pdf

History of 345th Engineer General Service Regiment by Lt Col Lawrence M Hoover pg 6 thru end.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   History of 345th Engineer General Service Regiment by Lt Col Lawrence M Hoover cover thru pg 5.pdf (Size: 1.93 MB / Downloads: 0)
.pdf   History of 345th Engineer General Service Regiment by Lt Col Lawrence M Hoover pg 6 thru end.pdf (Size: 1.24 MB / Downloads: 0)

Thank you for posting the history of the 345th as we have had numerous inquirys on them over the years.

We wish to offer our condolences to you & your family on the passing of your father.

Thanks for all your hard work. It's great to have the history posted on our forum for all to see.

My condolences on your loss; a loss which everyone reading this post can truly appreciate.

Marion J Chard

This thread seems to have been dormant for a long while. Let's see if we can revive it.

My father, Lawrence A. White, also known as "Red" White due to his red hair was from Leominster, Massachusetts. He was a construction foreman in the 345th Combat Engineers. He was trained at Camp Crowder, MO and then shipped out to North Africa. He said he saw the USS Massachusetts get hit by a shell from the French battleship Jean Bart and then saw the Massachusetts sink the Jean Bart. He mentioned he was in Casablanca and Bizerte. From there he was in the invasion of Sicily, then Salerno and Anzio. He said he was at Monte Cassino as well. He ended the war up in Milan where he obtained photos from a Bristish photographer of Mussolini, his mistress, and a few other fascists hanging from their feet at a gas station in central Milan. He said very little else about his service except that he told my mother that at one time he was face to face with a young German soldier at very close range. Dad simply said "And I'm the one telling the story and he's not." This haunted him for the rest of his life.

He also mentioned that he had a good buddy in his outfit from Watertown, Massachusetts, but I don't know his name.

I would love to know more about this unit if anyone has information. Dad died in 2011 at age 90.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing his story. BTW, loved the nickname, Red White!  :clappin:

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  345th Engineers Genral Service Regiment rollsballs 9 10,739 09-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Last Post: bentspoke