German "Robot" Bombs

Because of the new technology, it's interesting to read news reports of the early V1 and V2 rockets. Because the weapons were unmanned, the news media refered to them as "robot bombs". The attached story from July '44 is about the V2 rocket.

The V2 was ahead of its time, so if the war had not ended so soon the Germans might have been able to build a rocket capable of hitting the US.

Tom

post-1317-0-20140200-1314538906_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Image.jpg (Size: 640.98 KB / Downloads: 0)

Yes, it's certainly difficult to get into the heads of the people that lived through the giant leap in technology that happened during the war years. To us it's just a guided missle; but that's because we've grew up with them. If rockets were just the things of comic books and now they could be armed and programed to rain down on a specific target I imagine that would be quite unsettling!

R-Ad1aged_web.jpg

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

It is scary to even think about what might have been. The Nazis were WAY ahead in their rocket weaponry and jet airplanes. I was watching a program about this on The Hitlery Channel recently that implied that if Germany had been able to hold the Allies back until 1946 they might have had a nuclear weapon and the technology to deliver it to New York City. Now that is a sobering thought! :help:

Tom:

Thanks for the interesting post. This is what I like to see.

Yes, just a few months would have made a horrible difference in the turn of events...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Major: What can I say about the image except, fantastic!!!!

Marion J Chard

Major: What can I say about the image except, fantastic!!!!

You just gotta know how to Google!

Since we are talking about WWII tech, here's something of interest. I found this the other day while I was looking up something about SATCOM (satellite communications). Arthur C. Clark wrote this article that discusses the use of satellites to enable worldwide communications. This was written in October of 1945!! Of note are the references to the NAZI space program.

EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL RELAYS

Can Rocket Stations Give World-wide Radio Coverage?

By ARTHUR C. CLARKE

EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL RELAYS - By ARTHUR C. CLARKE.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL RELAYS - By ARTHUR C. CLARKE.pdf (Size: 741.49 KB / Downloads: 0)
Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Lee and I are huge CLARK fans, so I was familiar with his work. Ya, he predicted this and many other things in his books and articles, which later came to fruition. Great mind!!!

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heroic German officer killed in a minefield trying to save an American Walt's Daughter 0 2,381 06-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Art looted by Nazi's found in German Apartment Walt's Daughter 4 4,685 11-07-2013, 01:47 AM
  German town asks WWII vets to come back Walt's Daughter 1 2,796 04-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  When The German Ardennes Offensive Failed Emerson_Bigguns 4 4,852 03-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Last Post: chambers
  Photos of German Army WW11.... ricklind 6 7,216 02-09-2009, 12:25 AM
  German graveyards Walt's Daughter 1 2,665 01-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Emerson_Bigguns
  the German Protestant Church Walt's Daughter 0 1,731 11-26-2006, 10:37 PM
  Words from a German soldier at XMas Walt's Daughter 3 4,339 11-26-2006, 09:40 PM
  Photos from German bunker Walt's Daughter 10 9,275 05-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Last Post: rennog
  only German soldier in Arlington Walt's Daughter 7 6,694 04-04-2006, 11:33 PM