Col Carl F Baswell awarded 2011 Gold deFleury Medal

Col Carl F Baswell awarded 2011 Gold deFleury Medal

Colonel Carl F Baswell001.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   Colonel Carl F Baswell001.pdf (Size: 251.44 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I wrote to the Colonel this week and sure enough found a reply in my inbox this morning. If this letter doesn't inspire you, then nothing will get you out of bed! So grab your boot straps and get that blood flowing. You have a lot of work ahead of you, soldiers!

Mannheim, Germany, 9 August 9, 2011

Dear Marion, Was pleased to receive your email and your connection/interest with some of my past military service. Just now I am back in Germany until the 24th of this month with my German International Construction and Service firm (SKE) when I return to the USA for a few months. I go away back with the military as I am now 89 years young and heading for 100 hopefully! We must have a phone visit when I return stateside. When and where is your next 36th Engr Group reunion? Here are my phone connections:

(leaving off private information)

Let me visit a bit just now: I went to Europe with the 9th Armd Division and crossed over Normandy into France well after DDay. I first came in contact with the 36th Engrs Gp when I went to Korea to command the 11th Engr Cbt Battalion of the 36th Group in Korea in 1963 and later returned to Korea and became the Commander of the 36th Engr Group in 1969/70 and the I Corp Engineer. After 32 years of active duty, I have now been retired from the military going on 38 years……and still with my German firm!

Please send me your phone number(s) for the future. I have unlimited long distance phone service in the USA and a phone visit would be most welcome.

Carl F. Baswell

Colonel US Army (Retired)

Corps of Engineers

Marion J Chard

That certainly is inspiring! I hope to be as busy at 89!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Amen brother!

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CIB's being awarded to com engs Walt's Daughter 156 189,923 03-27-2017, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Robersabel
  Band of Brothers - Carl Henn (Story of the 36th Engineers' Band) Bob Nokes 4 4,947 04-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Joe Specker Medal of Honor - 48th CE Walt's Daughter 4 8,389 05-10-2012, 11:18 AM
  Carl Furtado - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,415 02-16-2009, 08:03 PM
  Harry S. Oyler Gets Good Conduct Medal Walt's Daughter 0 2,117 12-04-2006, 09:34 PM