A little about me. I am a avid WW2 amateur history buff. I spend my time talking to Veterans here in my home county. My family proudly served in all branches of the US Military. My father served aboard the USS Amick DE 168 in the Pacific. He had 2 brothers that served in the Army Air Force one in the 14th AF and the other in the 8th AF. Had 2 brothers that served in Artillery Units , 1 in the 125th Field Artillery/34th Inf Div the other served in the 47th Armored Field Artillery/5th Armored Div. He is buried in the American Cemetery at Empinal France.

I am looking forward to taking to anyone on here.

Welcome to the forum. Thank You, to you and all your family who served our country. I hope you will find our home of interest to you. We have a wide variety of membership including WWII veterans like "Rocky" Roijas of the 135th inf, 34th division, current service members, many members from Europe with onsite input, all-in-all a well rounded group of great people.

Your families service amost mirrors mine, my dad was in the 706 MP Bn, 1 brother with the 304th FA, 77th Div, another brother started of with a coast artillery unit, an uncle in a 1st Inf Div artillery unit, an uncle in 401st BG, 8th AF. My wife`s father served aboard the Barton, DD-722. Be glad to talk to you and answer any questions you might have.

Larry

Welcome to the boards. I think Larry pretty much said it all...We have people from all walks and many countries. Many veterans from every war including the current day conflicts.

I'm very proud of this group and always happy to see new members. We're pretty darn friendly, have a lot of fun and we love our history and our WWII veterans.

We look forward to chatting with you and learning more about you and your family history.

All the best,

M1

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thank you very much for those kind words. My family has a served this country since before its founding. I am compiling information on both sides of my family on all of us Veterans. For my self, I served from 1972-1979 in the US Army Infantry. Nothing special about my service. I have many cousins, uncles, great uncles that served in WW2 , Korea, Vietnam , and the War we are in now.

But my greatest joy comes form talking to Veterans and getting into sharing info form them. The interview that both the Veteran and my self shared a tear happened last yr. He was in the 36th Med Unit attached to a TD Unit. In one battle he went froward to treat some wounded. He found 1 tanker that was badly burned and the guy told him to see to the others as he was going to die. Mr Robert told me after all these years that man's courage to what was going to happen to him inspired him , make it back home and do the very best he could in life. Mr Robert is a very humble man in his eighty's and when he started crying , I did too. He told me that he was No Hero, when I went to talk to him but I said Mr Robert , to me and millions more If not for your service to this country , I would not be sitting here, talking to you. I have heard many Veterans say that to them the Real Hero's are the Ones that didn't make it back home.

Wow, that's quite an illustrious history.

I can understand the tears. Can't tell you how many times I've broke down while talking and listening to "my boys".

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I had the Great Honor of Knowing a very humble Veteran that lived just down the road for us. Never knew what he did during WW2, but after researching I found that he served in the Infantry in Italy. Digging more into his service, I found that in the fall of 1944 at 21 yrs old he used a captured German 20 mm cannon to knock out a Tank and kill over 10 German soldiers that had pen down his squad and for his bravery was award the Silver Star. I called 1 of his daughters and told her about his service in WW2. She had no idea that her father did any of the things I said until I showed her the material that I had found. Things like that are what keeps me motivated to do what I do as a hobby. The men what ever or how ever they served are The Greatest Generation bar none.

A warm welcome from Belgium.

Can I ask you what TD unit this Med Unit was attached to?

You post interesting information and I am happy to read you make the effort to talk to Veterans and write their stories down.

Erwin

I will have to ask him again. Going over my notes , I failed to ask that question.

A warm welcome from Belgium.

Can I ask you what TD unit this Med Unit was attached to?

You post interesting information and I am happy to read you make the effort to talk to Veterans and write their stories down.

Erwin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  160th Engineer Combat Battalion WW II ( new member) Joe Miga 119 139,624 01-27-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: glen blasingim
  292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) arden 617 533,067 05-15-2023, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Sir Gator
  Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 Saddleblanket 8 7,886 08-09-2015, 06:19 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  New member katy 2 3,819 05-19-2015, 08:51 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  New member - Tom Caulkins son of 316th Engineer shrinemason 47 34,159 06-07-2014, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Jean Jacobson
  New Member- 208th EN from Art Bushon SharonC 5 5,800 05-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Jean Jacobson
  new member - father's 1374th EPD ddorrell 10 11,190 02-03-2014, 10:03 AM
  New Member - son of Veteran of 398th Joe Miga 1 3,073 02-02-2014, 12:03 PM
  another new member Ken Grano 5 5,955 01-22-2014, 06:44 AM
  New Member Hello! puggy 11 10,604 09-29-2013, 02:14 PM
Last Post: blueshockeynut