Gothic Line Maps

Enrico--I don't remember those places you mention. Of course to damn cold on the Gothic Line. We didn't see maps, we just did and went when we were told

Rocky is a pleasure to see you again, I remember what you told on two pairs of socks!

I will attach a piece taken from the site custermen.com

"Just before the new year, the 34th Division was relieved in the line and went back to the vicinity of Pietramala and the Radicosa Pass for a little rest and training. As a training vehicle it had to choose and begin the construction of a belt of defenses, whose task it would have been to prevent any remotely possible German thrust from cutting the lateral highway between Highway 65 and the east, pending the organization of a counter-attack force to restore the original line. By now it had snowed heavily, and the hardships of digging in the frozen, rocky ground and of working instruments in the vicious wind made this so-called rest period almost as much strain as service in the line, for Radicosa Pass was practically at the summit of the Apennines."

I saw a beautiful picture of Radicosa Pass (now called Raticosa pass) where the Signal Battalion, had erected a huge sign saying Merry Christmas and a beautifull Christmas tree.

Pietramala Radicosa is 200 meters below the Radicosa pass.

Also right now (I had a leap to the heart) I found a picture of some soldiers, and I recognized the place where I go often to do research. I had never seen this picture before, it's wonderful!

source of the photo: http://www.defenseme...nte-la-difensa/

post-1233-0-23362200-1307643078_thumb.jpg

post-1233-0-51398800-1307643090_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   margaret-bourke-white-lit-merry-christmas-sign-behind-christmas-tree-and-signal-battalion-at-the-top-of-radicosa-pass.jpg (Size: 33.02 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   3121.jpg (Size: 79.6 KB / Downloads: 0)

Interesting photos and text. Had never seen the photos before. Sure looks cold as heck in that one photo. I see the Xmas one was taken by Margaret Bourke. Great lady!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

And I would add, great photo! The incredible thing is that in the death cold, in a faraway land and in war, the soldiers have not forgotten the Christmas, surely that was a way to feel at least a little at home.

Rocky is a pleasure to see you again, I remember what you told on two pairs of socks!

I will attach a piece taken from the site custermen.com

I saw a beautiful picture of Radicosa Pass (now called Raticosa pass) where the Signal Battalion, had erected a huge sign saying Merry Christmas and a beautifull Christmas tree.

Pietramala Radicosa is 200 meters below the Radicosa pass.

Also right now (I had a leap to the heart) I found a picture of some soldiers, and I recognized the place where I go often to do research. I had never seen this picture before, it's wonderful!

source of the photo: http://www.defenseme...nte-la-difensa/

That wasn't us with a fire going. All we had was a coleman stove,packets of instand coffee and C-rations. OH yes,we also had some snow. 1st. Bn. 135th Inf. Regt. 34th Divn

YEAH, Rocky is BACK!!!!! :The Queen: :The Queen:

Love those words-----ADD REPLY--!!!!!!!!

That wasn't us with a fire going. All we had was a coleman stove,packets of instand coffee and C-rations. OH yes,we also had some snow. 1st. Bn. 135th Inf. Regt. 34th Divn

No, soldiers in the pictures are from the First Special Service Force. Rocky your vitality and your desire to play are great, there is a place where I can buy them? ^_^

You can not remember the cartel and the Christmas tree of the photo during the Christmas of 1944?

No, soldiers in the pictures are from the First Special Service Force. Rocky your vitality and your desire to play are great, there is a place where I can buy them? ^_^

You can not remember the cartel and the Christmas tree of the photo during the Christmas of 1944?

Enrico-Christmas to us was just another day. I didn't see a Christmas tree till I got back home,1945. No fire to warm us up. Yes I think there was some snow. Seems now like that was one hundred years ago. But I thank GOD that I can still write here. Rocky

Enrico-Christmas to us was just another day. I didn't see a Christmas tree till I got back home,1945. No fire to warm us up. Yes I think there was some snow. Seems now like that was one hundred years ago. But I thank GOD that I can still write here. Rocky

I can imagine Rocky, and I also thank God for giving me the chance to meet you! You're a good man Rocky, and I am sure that everyone knows it!

I scanned these maps this morning and added them to the main site. You can access the link here:

Engineer History Mediterranean Theater - Fifth Army Maps

It's a large file, so it may take a while to download and appear.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

M1 Thanks again, sorry if I answer only now, but I was not very well yesterday! (strong cold).

The maps are fantastic!:thewoman:

By chance have you any map with the locations of the regiments, platoon, team?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Museum in Italy - Gothic Line and Mt. Altuzzo battle angatti 14 15,871 12-19-2017, 07:31 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Maps 34th infantry Division sixgun 1 2,999 11-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  Library of Congress, WWII maps online Wendy 4 5,095 02-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  Bastogne Maps.... ricklind 1 2,584 01-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Maginot Line majchuckie 3 3,728 08-06-2006, 04:52 AM
Last Post: Parnell-H
  The Thin Red Line Walt's Daughter 1 77,968 12-03-2004, 07:12 AM
Last Post: Cadetat6