human heart morality

Saw this post by the Dalai Lama today and I think it states exactly how I feel about the world.

Dalai Lama

Some people automatically associate morality and altruism with a religious vision of the world. But I believe it is a mistake to think that morality is an attribute only of religion. We can imagine two types of spirituality: one tied to religion, while the other arises spontaneously in the human heart as an expression of love for our neighbors and a desire to do them good.

:huggybears:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Saw this post by the Dalai Lama today and I think it states exactly how I feel about the world.

I do like the quote; it's one I wish more people would embrace. A lot of people think that since they are not religious there is no need to act in a morally conscious way. A bigger problem might be when there are people who love the people of their own beliefs and hate all others (perhaps even as a result of their beliefs) and think they are still act morally when they act badly to those they hate.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

AMEN! The thing which always disturbed me is this; many people only ACT a certain way because they are afraid of retribution. What kind of nonsense is that? That's your moral drive?

I've told people many times, if there were indisputable proof there were no God or gods, I would still do good acts and treat people with respect. I do not frame my behavior on the the concepts of punishment and reward after death.

Morality goes way beyond the belief in any God...

Marion J Chard

Have you ever heard of Sadhu Sundar Singh? Probably not, but I would like to send you a link to a sample of his readings with your permission. I think you would enjoy it as a person with a spiritual leaning. BTW...he was a Christian :-)

Actually I have heard of him, and would enjoy the link. Thanks.

Marion J Chard

...A bigger problem might be when there are people who love the people of their own beliefs and hate all others (perhaps even as a result of their beliefs) and think they are still act morally when they act badly to those they hate.

Ya, I didn't even touch on that in my previous reply to you. Boy is that ever a big cans of worms! The terrible things which have been done in the name of religion. You got a few days??? :blink::unsure::wave2:

Hey speaking of that, have you been following the new HBO show on the The Borgias? OMG! Talk about taking God and the belief in his words, and twisting them to your liking? Hatred, violence...well you name it.

And if you have been following, have you read any of the REAL history of the family? It's incredible either way (TV or the real thing).

Marion J Chard

Actually I have heard of him, and would enjoy the link. Thanks.

You surprise me :-) I sent the link just now. If you wish I will loan you his book: "With and Without Christ".

cheers,

DD

I haven't gotten the link....

Marion J Chard

I haven't gotten the link....

Sorry M1. I might have sent it to an email addy that you no longer use. I'll git 'er done sooner or later. Glad you are familiar with him.