NARA IS NOT destroying records

Ain't it always something? :banghead:

I guess the Internet will always be a conduit for the latest gossip and rumors, and most I just ignore, but felt this one deserved some attention from yours truly.

A few weeks ago I received a letter from someone saying they could not obtain their relatives unit records. They said NARA had stated it was part of a government dictate to clear space, etc. I couldn't believe it. Then I heard about it again, and...

Get this through your heads right now; NARA IS NOT DESTROYING RECORDS! The following is from a government site:

Is the National Archives and Records Administration destroying military personnel files?

They are not being destroyed. The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) preserves and protects the files because they are permanently valuable records that document the essential evidence of military service for veterans. However, there is a rumor circulating on the Internet that advises veterans to apply for their Official Military Personnel Files to save them from destruction. There is no truth to this "urban legend" being perpetuated on the Web.

End of story, plain and simple. Marion has spoken.

:ladynews:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

That would sort of defeat the purpose of being the national "archives".

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Ya, you are absolutely right, but we have to remember that many people do not possess common sense. If they did, then I wouldn't be posting this and you wouldn't be responding.

:P :P :o

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Find My Past Announces WWII POW Records Published Walt's Daughter 0 3,733 09-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  NPRC Fire - NARA Fire in St Louis - 1973 Walt's Daughter 2 5,403 01-16-2014, 05:00 PM
  So...records search Caryl-280ECB 15 18,160 04-11-2013, 05:51 PM
  Marion & National Archive Records Walt's Daughter 47 2,026,446 02-04-2012, 11:45 AM
  FREE access to military records until Dec 7th, 2012 Walt's Daughter 0 3,194 12-04-2011, 02:16 PM
  ARC - Archival Research Catalog - NARA Walt's Daughter 0 3,224 02-09-2011, 08:49 PM
  Is NARA in St. Louis brain dead twobisquit 6 8,732 10-05-2006, 02:01 PM