From a modern day engineer

Several weeks ago I found this entry in our guestbook:

This is a wonderful site full of a wealth of information. My grandfather is Ernest Joy from the 540th. Like he, I joined the army and am also a combat engineer. I leave for Iraq in a couple of weeks. Thanks for you dedication to our veterans that gave the most. ESSAYONS!!

Yes, the grandson of one of the men in this photo.

motorpool.jpg

I replied with this:

Dear Benjamin:

I always take a moment to thank each and every person who signs the guestbook and I must say what a  pleasant surprise it was hearing from you.  I plan on having a page for your grandfather in the very near future, so stay tuned for more developments.  Please stay in touch and of course my best wishes go with you in Iraq. 

I'm sure your grandfather is very proud of you.  It is quite an honor to be a combat engineer.  I'm more than happy to share my dads history, along with the history of all his buddies and fellow E-men.  Unfortunately the public has very little awareness of the combat engineer's role in war and it is my job to make sure that I educate them regarding your role past and present.  I find all to often while reading history books that combat engineers don't get the justice they deserve.

I would be honored to have you join our message board and keep us posted on events in Iraq, especially from an E-Mens perspective.  I think the public needs to hear more from the soldiers stationed there and get a birds-eye view of the war whether good or bad.  Hey, what the heck, let's do a page on you.  What would you think about that?  It would be great to have a modern-day engineer featured on our site.  Grandfather and grandson.  That would be awesome.  Let me know what you think.

Take care and may God keep you safe.

Ben's reply to my letter:

The web page idea would be fine with me.  I have emailed you from my wifes email address because my time at home is short.  She can cordinate any information and pictures you need.  I'll do my best to stay in touch over the next 18-24 months while I am away.  My wifes name is Lynette.  She is very involved with our family support group.  She is a prior service MP.  She said she would love to help out.  Thanks for the compliments and warm wishes.

SSG Benjamin Joy

B Co.  113th Engr. Bn

I heard from Lynette. Ben's address is left off for privacy:

Here is Ben's address while he is at Camp Atterbury.  He will be there for approx.  4-6 weeks.  I will let you know when to stop sending mail there and then as soon as I get the new address for him I will pass it along to you.

And today, Lynette sent me these photos that were taken in Iraq. You may have seen these before, but they are very touching.

letter.jpg

praying.jpg

soldiernpet.jpg

highfive.jpg

God Bless our boys!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"