Looking for Members of the 106th Infantry Division

Hello. I am looking to find members of the 106th or family members of veterans that could help me find out more information if possible about my grandfather's WWII service. His Seperation papers list him in the 424th Infantry Regiment in the 106th Infantry Divsion (Golden Lions). And his discharge papers list him in the 16th Engineer Combat Battallion, Company C, and that he was involved in the Rhineland, Ardennes, and Central Europe Campaigns. The little he did talk about the war was of the Battle of the Buldge. Place of entry into the service was in Boston, Massachusetts, and place of seperation was at Fort Devens, Massachusetts. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi Karrie:

It's been great to exchange emails with you. I'm hoping any members of his unit, or their family members, will see your post and get in touch with you.

To everyone here, I have already instructed Karrie on how to obtain further information, including writing to NARA in Maryland to obtain the documentation on the 106th.

She also has found some general information on the 106th, but I will post any links I find for her benefit, as well for any reader who happens upon this topic.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Theron wrote this morning:

The poster can find a history of the 106th; Lions in the Way. Published

in 1946 by the Infantry Journal Press. Interlibrary loan should be able to

find a copy. It would be a good starting point.

theron

Marion J Chard

Karrie:

I also wanted to tell you to look through the archives of newspapers from you grandfather's hometown. Many times during the war, the newspapers would insert short articles about their hometown "boys". It's worth a shot!

Marion J Chard

Just so we don't get a duplication of answers, Karrie and I touched base (via email) on the following:

Karrie:

The 16th Engineers only served in Italy right up to the end of the war in May 0f 1945. It may be your grandfather was transferred to their unit here in the states, and then discharged.

But it's sounding like he did he stint with the 106th Infantry Div, 424th Infantry Regiment, since they began their service in the ETO in the fall of 44, which would correspond with his discharge papers. This would also fit in with the stories he related during the Battle of the Bulge.

Have you tried contacting the man listed here:

http://www.military-network.com/ben/Associations_Detail.cfm?ID=2732

If he is still alive, he may have the company rolls.

I would suggest getting in touch with NARA in Maryland (not St Louis), and finding out what records they have for the 106th Inf Div, 424th Inf Reg. This is where I obtained my dad's unit's records. This includes daily, weekly and monthly army records.

I have some other suggestions too, but this may get you started in the right direction.

Marion J Chard

http://www.history.army.mil/documents/eto-ob/106ID-ETO.htm

This looks like the perfect opportunity for contact. They have email links and also a discussion board. You may have to look no further!

http://www.indianamilitary.org/106ID/SoThinkMenu/106thSTART.htm

Just found out they also have a ROSTER on that site:

http://www.indianamilitary.org/106ID/Rosters/RosterZOHO.htm

Marion J Chard

You didn't give his name, so am not sure if you share his last name of Bennett. If so, there are several Bennett's listed.

Marion J Chard

Karrie:

Their site also lists many of the wartime documents I told you about, including after-action reports.

I sent an email off to the webmaster this morning, telling him I added their link to my main site.

Marion J Chard

Hello. I am looking to find members of the 106th or family members of veterans that could help me find out more information if possible about my grandfather's WWII service. His Seperation papers list him in the 424th Infantry Regiment in the 106th Infantry Divsion (Golden Lions). And his discharge papers list him in the 16th Engineer Combat Battallion, Company C, and that he was involved in the Rhineland, Ardennes, and Central Europe Campaigns. The little he did talk about the war was of the Battle of the Buldge. Place of entry into the service was in Boston, Massachusetts, and place of seperation was at Fort Devens, Massachusetts. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

***Forgot the name :) - My Grandfather's name is Alfred J. LeBlanc. Most military records so far list his last name as LE Blanc (2 seperate words)**

http://www.history.army.mil/documents/eto-ob/106ID-ETO.htm

This looks like the perfect opportunity for contact. They have email links and also a discussion board. You may have to look no further!

http://www.indianamilitary.org/106ID/SoThinkMenu/106thSTART.htm

Just found out they also have a ROSTER on that site:

http://www.indianamilitary.org/106ID/Rosters/RosterZOHO.htm

Good guess, but Bennett wasn't his name though :) That was my other grandfather, who's time in the army during WWII needed no research, he was in the 101st airborne, and is a life time member even though also deceased in the New England chapter. Anyway back to Grandfather LeBlanc, I checked out the above links, unfortunately on the roster there were 2 LeBlanc, not him though. I signed up to be able to post on the 106th message board, waiting for acceptance. Over a month ago found a link to the 106th actual newsletter/site to which you could submit a request to locate someone that served in the 106th, but no response at this time My link. I also sent an email to the New England contact person of American Legion to see what info may have been listed maybe on his application, and also to there general customer service email box, again with no replies. I will keep plugging along :)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  291st Co B Combat Infantry 'Engineers 75th Div blueshockeynut 13 13,756 11-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Last Post: juskitty
  347th Engineer General Service Reg members or family DaveM 9 9,024 10-22-2015, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Living Members of Company A 324th Combat Engineers- 99th Infantry? laurenbeagregory 5 7,108 04-28-2015, 07:48 AM
  45th Infantry Recon Pilot Walt's Daughter 15 220,168 03-10-2014, 03:53 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  259th Infantry Regiment of the U.S. 65th Infantry Division Walt's Daughter 7 10,421 02-28-2014, 02:24 PM
  Surviving Members of Co D 175th Engineers WWII lpendry 5 5,295 10-16-2013, 07:28 AM
  87th Infantry 345 Regiment April 7th , 8th, 9th 1945 rrh0325 2 4,788 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM
  Members of the 1264th Combat Engineers Co. B. Larry Tubbs 3 5,414 12-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Last Post: theron
  Co. H 36th Armored Infantry Regiment Walt's Daughter 16 418,975 06-23-2005, 07:37 AM
  3rd Infantry Div - 3rd Signal Corps Walt's Daughter 12 117,599 04-11-2005, 03:30 PM