Pictures of my Grandfather

Hi, I'am looking for any pictures of the 36th, 2828 Bn, Company C. I'm hoping there might be a picture of my Grandfather. Also, does anyone know how to get information from Ft. Custer, Mi? This is where he enlisted. I've seen group pictures of others out there. :)

As far as i know, there are no WWII records at Fort Custer. If any records for the induction center are still in existance, they`d be buried somewhere in the National Archives in College Park, Maryland.

It`s probable that he wasnt at Ft Custer very long, not all men inducted there took basic training there. His age at the time, abt 27, and his civilian occupation, 'Semiskilled construction occupations' probably classified him to be assigned to an engineer unit, & was sent to anther training camp for basic.

I would suggest you send a request to the National Personel Records Center in St Louis, MO. for his military service record. See the research section of the forum for info on how to do it. Let me know if you need help with the form or anything else.

All the photos are posted in the Engineer Photo Gallery. I would go through every 36th Engineer folder and see if there may be any photos of him. You never know.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/imagevue/?p=gallery#/start/

My father was also at Fort Custer. I tried contacting them years ago, but never got any response. Some day I will visit, since I still live in Michigan.

Here is my dad's page. There is a photo of him from Fort Custer:

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/mydad.htm

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Fort Custer is now a State Park

Also a Military Cemetery

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

In addition to the State Park recreation area & the National Cemetery, Fort Custer also includes a VA Hospital complex, an Armory, and an airfield. Up to a few years ago, the Air National Guard had a squadron of A-10 Warthogs based there. It was cool to see them flying around, they used to practice strafing I-84 untill they caused a big pileup on the highway. The base is still being used by the Michigan National Guard as a training facility.

Current uses:

Fort Custer's facilities are used by the Michigan National Guard and other branches of the armed forces (including ROTC students), primarily from Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana. The 177th Regiment [1], Regional Training Institute, Augusta Armory and the Regional Maintenance Training Site are based at Fort Custer. Additionally FBI, the Michigan State Police, and other law enforcement agencies have used the area.

Fort Custer offers a distance learning center, barracks and dining facilities for visiting units, and plenty of training areas. The small arms ranges are recently upgraded and the maneuver training areas offer a variety of terrain.

ROTC cadets use Fort Custer for their bi-annual CFTXs (Combined Field Training Exercises).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pictures Of My Grandfather 1132nd Combat Engineers remo93 7 7,745 07-25-2018, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  William "Bill" Brinkley (my grandfather) Rmb2 11 10,505 07-19-2017, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Rmb2
  Information about my Grandfather MCFIXALEAK 3 4,540 12-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter