WWII VETS - were you ever re-issued dog-tags?
Answer: Yes, in Nancy France my father had his dog tag lost and he had his dog tags reissued. The Clerk at the Company Headquarters was the one that got them reissued for my dad.

Ron

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I would say that statistically, there has been no reissue promoted by the army, but that could happen in case of loss or change in any of the information on dog tags, correct me if I'm wrong ...

And another response:

My grandpa, Rod Rodello Rojas, Combat Engineer says he barely remembers his dog tags. He got his original set, but he said that he might have received a second set after he went down with the Bridge at Remagen. That was when he received his Purple Heart for a Brain Injury.
Marion J Chard
Marion, I still recall my original dog tags # 35922061, at one time in Europe I lost track of my dog tags; but a few days later found them in my bed role , I still have one of my original tag and ware

it on my key chain, The hole for the chain wore so thin it broke thru, some of the guys that worked for me fixed it and I still have it on my key chain.my number also changed when I received a commission,

do not recall that number, nor do I have those tags

I do not know what year this happened but serial numbers were changed to Social security numbers

so some individual would have had them reissued,

I am sure everything has changed to SSN

Ray Repasky

Marion J Chard

I would say that statistically, there has been no reissue promoted by the army, but that could happen in case of loss or change in any of the information on dog tags, correct me if I'm wrong ...

Enrico, I believe your assumptions are correct. I am seeing a pattern here too, and it looks to me they were re-issued under special circumstances and NOT ACROSS THE BOARD. That makes perfect sense.

I am thrilled we've received so many responses and want to thank each and every vet who participated in this poll.

:14_2_108:

You guys are still our voice, and we treasure everything you share with us. Please keep it comin'!

Marion J Chard

I agree (sorry for hijacking this thread, I know I'm no Veteran).

Dogtags were re-issued in some specific cases only; promotion to Officer (new ASN with O- number), in case of change in address (the earlier types of dogtags), etc.

For the "T dates" (T42, T43, ...); I think mostly the second date was added to the existing dogtags.

I had two sets of dogtags of an officer; one set had the address on them, the other set not.

The rest of the information on them was exactly the same.

Erwin

Erwin, you certainly DON'T have to be a vet to participate. We appreciate all input on the subject.

This turned out to be a great thread, which took off like a shotgun. This is why the internet is such an important research tool; look what it accomplished in under 24 hours.

I am GEEKED!!!

Marion J Chard

I am thrilled we've received so many responses and want to thank each and every vet who participated in this poll.

I join in the thanks!

Erwin, great job for me, in Italy we say "tutto fa brodo" literally translated means "everything produce broth". The meaning of this phrase is that everything is important and serves to improve our knowledge! This should always give us the charge to go forward! :pdt34:

Ah I like that, "tutto fa brodo". I shall add that to my repertoire. Makes me think of old times, when I was a very young child. My grandmother lived down the street from us, along with my Aunt Jo and Uncle Mario and their two kids. As you can imagine, the house was always filled with family, good wine and good food, and of course, the ITALIAN language. Ahhhh, but I digress....

Marion J Chard

Ah I like that, "tutto fa brodo". I shall add that to my repertoire. Makes me think of old times, when I was a very young child. My grandmother lived down the street from us, along with my Aunt Jo and Uncle Mario and their two kids. As you can imagine, the house was always filled with family, good wine and good food, and of course, the ITALIAN language. Ahhhh, but I digress....

I can understand! I hope you liked Italian food! Little off topic: Have you ever eaten the "tortellini alla bolognese"? :lol:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Penzeys Spices call for "grilling vets" - gets response from WWII veteran Walt's Daughter 1 3,474 04-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  World War II, Korean vets get their medals Walt's Daughter 1 2,834 01-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  WWII vets hold annual reunion in Tawas MI Walt's Daughter 0 1,924 07-12-2011, 06:39 PM
  German town asks WWII vets to come back Walt's Daughter 1 2,760 04-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  Bomber Vets Fly Again! Walt's Daughter 0 2,039 10-01-2009, 08:14 AM
  American House honors 3 WWII vets - Michigan Walt's Daughter 0 2,198 09-23-2009, 09:11 AM
  more WWII Howard Vets arve 3 4,361 08-25-2007, 10:35 AM
  Vets are Disappearing jim armstroong 13 10,251 04-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Sgtleo
  WW 2 vets left twobisquit 5 5,150 12-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Onaway417
  The hotdog vendors - Great vets! Walt's Daughter 5 5,091 07-09-2006, 05:59 PM