So...records search

Caryl, you said everything is okay now (with name), so looks like we are good to go.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I skimmed this posting, but i wanted to say,.... I sent a request to the St Louis office asking for any records that can be released to me about Grandad. They sent me a form letter and a buncha forms stating that most of the information was destroyed in the 1970s by fire but will send what they can and needed more info, which i dont have which was why i was asking in the first place. So i send what I had all over again, and then pulled what I could from Derrick of Dauntless, some info from ancestry about his enlistment (if that is in existence, wouldnt the rest of his file be also?) and some bits and pieces from family folklore. Hoping for the best now. But, I see here you say that an office in MD has more information? Where in MD?? I live in MD and might plan an little field trip.

Also, kind of wondering how your searches ended up?

I skimmed this posting, but i wanted to say,.... I sent a request to the St Louis office asking for any records that can be released to me about Grandad. They sent me a form letter and a buncha forms stating that most of the information was destroyed in the 1970s by fire but will send what they can and needed more info, which i dont have which was why i was asking in the first place. So i send what I had all over again, and then pulled what I could from Derrick of Dauntless, some info from ancestry about his enlistment (if that is in existence, wouldnt the rest of his file be also?) and some bits and pieces from family folklore. Hoping for the best now. But, I see here you say that an office in MD has more information? Where in MD?? I live in MD and might plan an little field trip.

You can find all the answers to your questions about NARA, etc., in our Research section:

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=23

Smiles, M1

Marion J Chard

THANK YOU! :)

I recieved a letter from a lovely gentleman who was in the unit with my grandad and they knew each other, tho they were not together. He said my grandfather was on the front lines in Krinkelt while he was at Headquarters in Elsenborne. He sent me a roster of the unit as well as replacements with addresses for these men in 1945. It also has a brief history of where the company (co A, 324th combat engineers 99th infantry) was, and approx dates. I have not scanned this into the computer yet, I dont know if he is ok with me posting it yet, I will have to ask but I am sure if he is sending it to me-- a total stranger-- he will probbaly say its ok to post here. He also directed me to a video that he is in talking about the Battle of the Bulge and it documents a reunion in Belgium. I am late in finding my information, so forgive me if this video is common knowledge, however you can order a copy of it here: http://www.wetbirdproductions.com/films-mom.php

He said many vets took part in the making of this film including himself.

Marching Once More

When WetBird Productions learned that veterans of the Battle of the Bulge were returning to Belgium and Luxembourg for the 60th anniversary of that infamous fight, there was no question: we had to go. While the itinerary was well-scripted, we had many questions about what would happen once we arrived. Would the memories be too overwhelming? Would the people of Belgium and Luxembourg remember or even care about the events of 1944 and 1945? Could the veterans – now in their 80’s and 90’s - withstand such a difficult and emotional journey? It didn’t take long to find out.

In many cases, the memories were overwhelming – some had never really gotten over the horrors of that brutally cold winter when Hitler launched a massive surprise attack against a thin and often inexperienced American frontline. But thankfully, the people of Belgium and Luxembourg not only remembered, they embraced the American senior citizens – treating them like rock stars, complete with ceremonies, royalty, medals, autographs, fireworks and finally, a moving parade in Bastogne. We are proud to bring you their incredible journey.

Happy to hear the news. Always exciting! Thanks for the link. I will check it out later.

I have a lot of friends in Belgium, and many of them are active in putting on tours for the vets and other interested parties. Many have taken part in documentaries and movies. It's simply marvelous.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Find My Past Announces WWII POW Records Published Walt's Daughter 0 3,733 09-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Marion & National Archive Records Walt's Daughter 47 2,026,444 02-04-2012, 11:45 AM
  FREE access to military records until Dec 7th, 2012 Walt's Daughter 0 3,194 12-04-2011, 02:16 PM
  NARA IS NOT destroying records Walt's Daughter 2 4,451 04-19-2011, 03:21 PM