540th Engineers

My brother-in-law, Clifford Dirks was in the 540th Engineers, Company E, Second Batallion. He made several beach landings including Anzio. He passed away a few years ago and I'm trying to get more information about his military service. I have a story written by him describing a horific tale of being mistaken for a German spy and being sent to an American POW camp on the island of Corsica near the town of Ajaccio.

If anyone has any information about Private (later Corporal) Clifford Dirks please contact me.

TerryTurner

First let me say give a big warm VI Corps welcome to you Terry. So glad you found our site and our forum.

I think you will find a wealth of information on the 540th. There's a LOT more that will be uploaded to the site in the near future too, so stay tuned.

Be sure to check out my Dad's Page, the Photo Page and the History Page for info on the great 540th Regiment. Don't forget to view the 1st and 2nd editions of my newsletter too. You will find names and addresses of all my 540th contacts including the vets themselves and their extended families. You can access the newsletters on my Home Page.

I don't know if you are aware that I am writing a book on the history of the 540th and will include the anecdotes from the men and their families.

I can't wait to read the story. Sounds like a truly horrendous thing to live through. Now how in the world did that ever occur??

Let me know how I can be of further assistance. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Overseas with the 540th Engineers Walt's Daughter 2 135,497 10-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter