Pictures of WWII Engineers

I have a Picasa site for all my pictures and over the last couple of years I have been collecting a lot of people who I think have cool photos and are linked on my main page. Several of them are from Russia and one has posted some pictures recently of WWII Engineers (mostly Commonwealth engineers). Just thought you would enjoy. Here is the link: http://picasaweb.google.com/GAPITOS/ForAle...242893011133970

Here are a few:

NA10288.JPG

NA11301.JPG

BU3436.JPG

B14286.JPG

Ah yes, the British and their famous Bailey. How many people here actually know the Bailey was a British invention? Three cheers for everyone here who knew that. And for those who didn't, you have now added engineer knowledge to your repertoire.

:armata_PDT_37:

Thanks Todd; nice photos.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

One of the pleasures I get coming here is to see photos added by the members. Today's posting by Todd highlights my thoughts, so evocative and especially welcome showing the 'Brits' in action. Yes we have a lot to thank Mr Bailey for. It is interesting that on page 5 of the engineeer 'bible' the US Army states the the Bailey was superior to the US H-10 & H-20 girder bridges?

Thank you Todd.

Colin.

I did know it was British because that is specifically mentioned in "The Bridge Too Far" movie.

[stout and Vanderleur are discussing how to get the Bailey bridge through town]

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: When you refer to Bailey crap I take it you mean that glorious, precision-made, British-built bridge which is the envy of the civilized world?

[looks at the crowd of Dutch civilians]

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: I don't know how you're going to get it through this crowd.

Col. Robert Stout: No sweat. I got a back way staked out that will avoid all this. American ingenuity.

Col. Joe. Vanderleur: Really?

Col. Robert Stout: Actually, I was born in Yugoslavia, but what the hell.

As always, I'm here to help Colin!!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Ah, one of my favorite movies of all time. Ah, I think it's time for a thirty corps spot o' tea!

Hey I noticed this tonight. Did you think it was going to by my omniscient eye?

(No USMC endorsement of opinions implied)
Marion J Chard

As always, I'm here to help Colin!!

Thank you Todd.

Now you have me curious as I wonder why he was he thought the Bailey was crap, was that a general US reaction or was Col Stout having a bad day?

Now I have to get me a strong British coffee!!

Colin.

I certainly DO NOT think that was ever a general U.S. consensus. I've never read a bad word about Mr Bailey, nor his bridges. Anything I've ever read, or ever heard amongst any of the soldiers I've interviewed, shed a light of disdain.

Marion J Chard

However I think we all know there were some mixed feelings amongst troops on both sides (American and British) about each other, at times. Even though we were (and are still) allies, we were still different enough to have some "rolling of the eyes".

Several years ago I was talking with a British engineer and after getting to know him, became quite perturbed with his feelings toward American engineers. He basically told me there weren't up to snuff and couldn't hold a cup of tea to the British soldier. As you can imagine, that didn't sit too well with me. After that, I lost my respect for the 'ol chap.

Marion J Chard

Hey I noticed this tonight. Did you think it was going to by my omniscient eye?

Just want to be sure that, since I do voice my opinion here from time to time, no one assumes I am talking as a public affairs officer for the Marine Corps. This is not so much for the regulars so much as the casual guests. I would also add that it is sort of a CYA on my part.

Now you have me curious as I wonder why he was he thought the Bailey was crap, was that a general US reaction or was Col Stout having a bad day?

I will have to watch the movie again, but I think it was just the colonel asking when were they going to get the bridging gear up to the point where it will do some good - with all of the "war is on and there's only one stinking road to get all of the gear, soldiers, and refuges through" excitement. My guess from my experience in the military [Warning! Warning! Opinion alert!!] is not that the colonel had any animus toward British engineering gear so much as anything non-infantry. Most infantry, (especially in the Marine Corps where the infantry is everything and everything is designed to support the grunt with a gun) have little interest in the whys and wherefores of the gear that supports them, only that it does support them.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  257th Engineers - WWII Walt's Daughter 20 22,639 09-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  WWII engineers - southern France - help needed identifying unit Walt's Daughter 8 8,008 08-17-2016, 08:29 AM
  Comments on engineers by Johnny Thompson - WWII veteran Walt's Daughter 2 3,526 02-15-2016, 09:21 PM
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 586,899 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
  Looking for members of the 297th Combat Engineers in WWII kevin.meehan 4 5,011 10-20-2012, 07:09 AM
  223rd Engineers WWII Walt's Daughter 11 9,612 03-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Last Post: swabby67
  19th Engineers WWII - docs Walt's Daughter 1 3,982 07-10-2011, 11:07 AM
  Looking for members - 1321st Engineers WWII Walt's Daughter 3 5,618 08-08-2008, 08:20 AM
  Civilian Employees Corps of Engineers WWII? Walt's Daughter 2 4,272 06-19-2007, 09:27 AM