Major Dick Winters passed away

I am sorry to announce here that Major Dick Winters passed away on January 2 and was interred on Saturday January 8 surrounded by his family. He served his country with many more men in a time when the country needed him.

Thank you for your service Sir and God bless you.

Hang Tough!

CURRAHEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God bless Him... Rest in Peace, Major Winters

Vee

Yes, very sad indeed. He was a wonderful man, a great soldier and a fantastic leader of men. Rest in peace.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/7374176.html
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I hope that because of the familiarity that people have with him that his passing brings WWII vets to more people's minds. What they did for us all (here, abroad, then and now) as well as the fact that they are passing from our midst at a rapid pace.

Major Winters, rest in peace, sir.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

I totally agree with what Todd says. I only knew Major Winters as a name which cropped up here from time to time, but he has my respect as do all WWII vets.

May he rest in peace as we who he and so many others fought for, live the lives that he ensured we could.

Colin.

I didn't hear of his passing until now when I logged on. Like most of you I knew of him only through Band of Brothers, but I almost feel like I've lost a friend. The world most certainly has lost a friend and a brilliant leader who lead by example. I know of a 6 year old boy who lives in Ukraine that has idolized this courageous American Warrior ever since Band of Brother became available on DVD in his own language. I'm sure he too will be saddened by Major Winter's passing. God Bless this Great Man, and bring comfort to those who mourn.

He was an example to us all, not just because of his service but because of his personal sense of integrity. There are just some people who make the world seem a little better just because they are in it, and I think Major Winters was one of those people.

For Major Winters and for all of our WWII veterans - I salute you.

Yes, very sad indeed. He was a wonderful man, a great soldier and a fantastic leader of men. Rest in peace.

I couldn't have said it better.

I often watched the series "Band of Brothers" just for the interviews with him and the other Veterans.

Also a signed photo of him is proudly hanging on my wall here.

It sure was a shock hearing of his passing away.

At first I thought it was a very bad joke being pulled (wouldn't be the first time), but later on I got the sad confirmation.

He did reach a very nice age.

Not so many were that lucky ....

Erwin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell Major Norman Hatch buk2112 2 4,336 04-27-2017, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Thoughts and Prayers for John Fallon - his wife passed away Walt's Daughter 2 3,489 10-29-2014, 11:01 PM
Last Post: mgjohnson
  Larry, dear forum member "SonofMp" has passed away Walt's Daughter 13 11,346 02-08-2014, 01:51 PM
  Major James Briggs, USMC CaptO 1 3,376 11-23-2010, 06:21 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  36th Engineer - Walter Bucci - passed away Walt's Daughter 0 2,544 11-08-2006, 02:18 PM
  Ben Palmer has passed away... Walt's Daughter 9 127,732 05-21-2005, 05:27 AM
  Bill Butler has passed on - 48th CE Walt's Daughter 1 117,959 05-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Irishmaam