Farewell Cliff Duncan - 540th Combat Engineer

Wasn't I just here earlier today? I can't believe this. Sometimes it's hard to keep smiling, when bad news, after bad news arrives on your doorstep.

This one is particularly tough, for I actually knew him. He was one of the first vets I got to meet over the phone; a man from my father's unit.

One of the first things I remembered about him was his KEEN sense of humor. We never had a conversation which didn't consist of 75 percent laughter. That was him all the time.

Many of you will know him because of my documentary, and many of you will continue to see his smiling face and encounter his laughter and his great outlook on life. In this, I am very lucky. So I will have a piece of him with me, and with us, forever.

Farewell Cliff. You are now with your dear wife, who passed away a mere few weeks ago. I am glad you will be reunited, but you shall be missed here on earth.

:tearyeyed:

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/CliffDuncan.htm

post-2-1294179334_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Clifford_Duncan_2006001.jpg (Size: 109.93 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

This is how I came to discover this. Thank you for letting me know, Jim.

Once again, I find myself passing along sad news to you Marion. My old buddy, Dunc, passed away Saturday morning. It has been pretty rough in the neighborhood over the last six weeks (actually the last six months). But, on the bright side, Eloise did not have to wait long for him to come along. Below, please find a link to his obituary. Hopefully, it will open for you. These two fine people are going to be surely missed around here.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/clifford-duncan

Sincerely,

Jim Heckman

Marion J Chard

I like to post the obits right on our site, in case the links are no longer available in the future.

Clifford R. Duncan, age 90, of Pemberville, OH, passed away on Saturday morning, January 1, 2011 at Heritage Corner Health Care Campus, Bowling Green, OH.

He was born on October 8, 1920 in Bowling Green, OH, to Joseph and Edith (Gander) Duncan. He married Eloise Smearsoll on October 28, 1941 in Pemberville, OH and she preceded him in death on November 16, 2010.

Clifford was a farmer and had also owned Duncan Industries, a metal stamping plant, in Bowling Green, OH from 1972-1991 and had also been a professional baseball player from 1938-1940.

Clifford's memberships and interests include: Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Pemberville, OH, Freedom American Legion Post # 183 of Pemberville, OH, former owner of the Bowling Green Breeze baseball team, committee member for a Toledo ball park, scout for the St. Louis Cardinals and enjoyed the ball team at B.G.S.U.

He proudly served his country in the United Sates Army during WWII.

Surviving Clifford is his daughter: Linda (Gerald) Bechstein of St. John, VI, son: Dallas (Betty Lou) Duncan of Howey-in-the-Hills, FL, 2 grandchildren, 1 great-grandson and brother: Clark (Marcella) Duncan of Bowling Green, OH.

He was preceded in death by his parents and wife: Eloise.

Friends and family will be received on Monday, January 3, 2011 from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Marsh Funeral Home, 4094 State Route 105, Pemberville, OH. Funeral services will be conducted on Tuesday, January 4, 2011, at 11 a.m. from Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Pemberville, OH, where there will be additional visitation from 10 a.m. until time of services. Officiating will be Rev. Matthew Musteric. Interment will be in Pemberville Cemetery, Pemberville, OH. There will be a bereavement luncheon served at the church immediately following the cemetery committal services.

Considerations for memorial contributions are: Bethlehem Lutheran Church or Bridge Home and Health Hospice.

Those wishing to express a word of encouragement, share a memory or photo may do so at www.marshfuneralhomes.com.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell Capt John Fallon 36th Engineer PDP2020 2 4,862 10-25-2021, 10:09 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Last Man Standing, 61st Engineer Combat Battalion Wayne 10 16,023 01-03-2020, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Farewell Tony Stefanelli - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 4 7,160 08-09-2018, 10:47 AM
  Farewell to Vincent J. Consiglio - 291st Engineer Walt's Daughter 4 9,032 11-25-2017, 09:51 AM
  Farewell Bob Feland - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 1 4,785 08-27-2017, 06:24 PM
  Farewell Kenneth Button - 2756 Combat Eng Bn Walt's Daughter 1 3,855 05-31-2017, 07:51 AM
  Rest in Peace - Ed Saraniero - 48th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 4,852 12-14-2016, 08:58 AM
  The passing of Carl Furtado - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 16 16,097 12-08-2016, 05:34 PM
  Farewell Louis J. Slonina - 148th Engineer Walt's Daughter 1 5,123 05-27-2016, 06:54 PM
Last Post: buk2112
  Farewell Marty Marsh - 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 4 6,145 02-29-2016, 09:28 PM