Fave WWII movies

Here's a movie I haven't seen in years - The Bridge at Remagen - made in 1969 with:

George Segal .... Lt. Phil Hartman

Robert Vaughn .... Maj. Paul Kreuger

Ben Gazzara .... Sgt. Angelo

Bradford Dillman .... Maj. Barnes

E.G. Marshall .... Brig. Gen. Shinner

Peter van Eyck .... Gen. von Brock

You should also check out The Cross of Iron, a Sam Peckinpah movie with James Coburn, Maximilian Schell, Senta Berger, James Mason & David Warner. It's told through the German perspective as a Sgt fights his way through the Russian front in 1943 with his platoon. Quite stirring.

Of course the Diary of Anne Frank. A must see for EVERYONE in my book.

Even though the acting leaves something to be desired, I still find myself watching Midway over again. The battle of Midway is a truly amazing story of what-ifs and oh my God they got lucky on that one! It was one of the major turning points in the Pacific war.

I'm a Patton girl and Patton is in my personal collection of videos. Have seen that at least 20 times too. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Do tell the story of how you are related to Lt Chard VC winner.

Oh Lordy, I would have to delve back into the records!!! :o I'll have to ask my hubby again or one of our relatives. We found out about it years and years ago. It's one of the things we take great pride in.

Hopefully more later...

Marion J Chard

Marion: Never saw "the cross of Iron" but believe I read the book. About a Sgt. Stiener

in the Russian campaign if I am correct. Was great. Naturally I like Audie Murphy in to Hell and Back, being a member of the 3rd Inf Div. in ww 2 . But truthfully a Walk In The Sun sure showed the usual actual day to day of the Infantryman without the glory..

Ah my dear, you are correct. Sgt Steiner it was. I highly recommend that you catch the movie. It's pretty depressing and really tells it like it is. Not much glory, lots of despair. Pretty realistic. Well you already know that because you've read the book. I'd be interested in your point of view if you get the chance to view it and give us an honest comparison.

It's been a long time since I've seen A Walk in the Sun. I would like to catch that again. I'll be sure to add it to my NetFlix queue.

Marion J Chard

Joe,

Over the week end I seen a tv program ,talking about the end of WW2. They said there were so many G.I.s going A.W.O.L. that they changed it to mean something like missing role call. Also stealing car's and truck's were another problem.

I did not remember all the things they were blaming the G.I.'s for but I never seen that in Philippines and I don't know where they got thier information. Did you see of hear any thing like that ?

papa

Cadat6: If you are speaking about the time after V.E. day specially, no I did not see much AWOL or even hear about it. We did not want to louse up our time to go home

in any way. Besides, life was pretty good with no one shooting at us anymore. Far as

"borrowing a vehichle" yes a lot of that went on . It wasnt "stealing" just "utilizing" a

mode of transportation and putting it to good temporary use as needed. for a hour or two. Fact is one never left a vehicle with out removing the distributor rotor AND chaining the steering wheel and locking it with the wheels well turned as a precaution.. This helped a bit to keep it from being among the missing. As gasoline was not really on the market yet in Germany to much extent, motorcycles could be obtained by trading a carton or two of cigarettes. Which I did. When I left I gave it to a friend who was not due to go home for a while. With little traffic on the roads it was a pleasure to use for hunting as it was easy getting around in the forest trails which were well kept up. Fact is, being young and single and no more fighting I actually enjoyed this time while waiting to get home. To me it was the best time I spent in the Infantry. But was damn glad to get back home.

I am watching "Patton" today (the Movie) and one line of George C. Scott's is something to the effect that he (Patton) wishes that he and Rommel could shake hands, each get in their tanks, buckle up the hatch and go to battle...winner take all. It's a darn good thing for all of us that never happened! A Sherman going toe to toe with a Tiger? Not good! :(

I still loved this movie though!

DD :woof:

Patton is one of my favorites, DogDaddy. I sort of get a chill down the spine during the opening speech that comes back each time they do the trumpet thing.

Patton and Lawerence of Arabia.

Two enigmas.

Chris

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Movies for sale! Walt's Daughter 2 4,111 03-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  my collection ww2 movies and documentaires krista 5 7,186 07-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy