1058th pc&r or port construction and repair group

Hi Walt,

I have just joined the forum,my fathers name was William Edward Luhrs a staff sergeant with the 1058 engineers .

He met my mother in Porthcawl in 1944.Its a long story ,My question is did you know him by any chance.

I am now 67 years old and trying to fill in some blank spaces.

My father died in 1959. sadly I never got to know .

Kind Regards

John.

John:

Was so nice talking with you on the phone last night. Always great to get a friendly call from jolly ol' England.

As promised, I will gather all the links I suggested last night and send them to you via email.

All the best to you. Can't wait till you get a chance to talk with Walt.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hi Marion,Great talking to you,Looking forward to your email with researchers details.I phoned NARA Maryland re; unit details

but just got endless recorded messages.

I am also hoping to talk to Walt in the near future.

Kind Regards

John.

Just sent you an email this morning John. All the best. Let me know if you have any questions.

Marion J Chard

Received this letter and photos

Dear all,

I like to share a photo of George N. Chandler with you. Thank you for your research and sharing his photo with us.

Best wishes,
Astrid van Erp

post-2-0-83679900-1464362378_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-66804500-1464362379_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-39911200-1464362380_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   4ef80a7c-2138-4e55-8a0b-6ef694f68c1b.jpg (Size: 62.44 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   55cbea0f-28e6-42c0-8130-e748e267b281.jpg (Size: 62.49 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   080570a0-949e-44fc-8742-8f602842f1a3.jpg (Size: 91.1 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Thank you for sharing T5 George Chandler memorial with us. My father, Walter N. Curlock, T4, 1058th PC & R Group, was welding on the Ludendorf Bridge when it collapsed and fell into the Rhine River. My father injured his back badly, but he told me although he was in shock at the time, he never-the-less searched up and down the river trying to find his buddies who had fell into the raging river after the collapse if the bridge. It was a traumatic time for all those involved.

I can't even imagine what they went through that day. It's the stuff that makes up nightmares!

Marion J Chard

Looks like this area has been quiet for a while.  But for anyone out there my father, Donald Sloan, was a Master Sargent in the 1058 PC&R .  His photo album from WWII starts with pictures  from Wales, then on to Cherbourg, Remouchamps, Remagen, Antwerp, Marseilles and ends with the Philippines.    I was elated to find this site since for years I was unable to find out anything about the 1058 PC&R.  This site has helped me put the puzzle together in a way that makes a more complete picture. Now the stories I heard growing up can be put in some order.    

Wonderful news and welcome to our forum. So glad you found us. Delighted that I could help you tie up some loose ends. 

Marion J Chard

On 7/25/2018 at 5:22 PM, C Sloan said:

Looks like this area has been quiet for a while.  But for anyone out there my father, Donald Sloan, was a Master Sargent in the 1058 PC&R .  His photo album from WWII starts with pictures  from Wales, then on to Cherbourg, Remouchamps, Remagen, Antwerp, Marseilles and ends with the Philippines.    I was elated to find this site since for years I was unable to find out anything about the 1058 PC&R.  This site has helped me put the puzzle together in a way that makes a more complete picture. Now the stories I heard growing up can be put in some order.    

Glad to hear from you. My father, Walter N.P. Curlock was with the 1058th PC &R Group throughout. I have quite a bit of info on the 1058th as I hired a researcher 2 years ago to retrieve the units reports and all other pertinent information on the 1058th PC & R Group. They were involved in many battles and campaigns most notable was the Battle of the Bulge and the repair and ultimate collapse of the Ludendoroff Bridge at Remagen.  I have many pictures but cannot identify where some were taken. You can read about the Ludendorff Bridge along with videos on Utube and various newspaper articles published in Stars and Stripes which I have if you would like could email them to you.

I too have some stories and would enjoy trading them with you as my father passed in 1991 and didn't talk much about his experiences in WWII.

One reason you cannot find out much about the 1058th is because they were often attached to other units. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to the Group! Deborah Gregory 2 3,247 10-13-2018, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Hi All! - 1139th Combat Engineering group Nancy Beller 10 12,117 01-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter