1058th pc&r or port construction and repair group

Hello, my name is donald rhyne my dad Virgil rhyne was with this group 1058th ENGRS PC&R group in ww2.Was in england assembling the mullberrries as a welder pre-dday.then to omaha beach d+? in operation cobra.over to grainville france to repair this port,also cherborgh later.Later Shipped to the hurtagen forest operation.Had trenchfoot either at hurtegen battles or battle of the bulge?shipped home before his group was decimated at the remagen bridge collapse,6 of his group lost.Trying to find a guy named lightfoot?Any help is appricated.donald rhyne columbia,illinois

Welcome to the group. I was just heading off for a good night's sleep, so will post more later. Will try to help to the best of our abilities. Good night all...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Welcome Donald.

Once again I delve into the US Combat Engineers 'bible'!

Granville.

The port of Granville was captured on the 3rd July 1944 and was the first port taken after the breakout. As the tonnage target rose, on the 25th of August the 1058th Port Construction and Repair Group went to Granville to prepare additional coaster berths. It was to operate entirely as a coaling port.

The Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen.

The Germans had certainly tried to knock out the Ludendorff bridge and a team from the 1058th PC & RG undertook the heavy steel work on the bridge and they were soon making good progress. Lt Col, Clayton A. Ross was walking over the bridge accompanied by his Exec Officer when about halfway across he heard a sharp crack. It was a rivethead shearing. The whole deck trembled, dust rose and the next moment he was in the water. The center span was twisting and buckling, then it fell into the water along with the adjacent spans. In the collapse of the bridge 6 members of the 276th EB were killed and 11 missing along with 60 injured. The commander of the 1058th PC & RG, Major Carr was killed; 7 of his men were missing and 6 injured. A German demolition charge some days earlier had weakened the bridge, but the immediate cause was thought to be the vibrations from German and US artillery fire. Within 3 days the US engineers had built and opened a class 40 floating Baily bridge to replace the Bridge at Remagen!

The Roosevelt Bridge.

The 1058th were involved in construction of this road bridge over the Rhine and Lippe rivers and named after the president who had died less than a week before it was built.

Colin.

Just woke up and saw your reply to Donald. Thanks so much for doing this. :armata_PDT_37:

Marion J Chard

Welcome Donald.

Once again I delve into the US Combat Engineers 'bible'!

Granville.

The port of Granville was captured on the 3rd July 1944 and was the first port taken after the breakout. As the tonnage target rose, on the 25th of August the 1058th Port Construction and Repair Group went to Granville to prepare additional coaster berths. It was to operate entirely as a coaling port.

The Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen.

The Germans had certainly tried to knock out the Ludendorff bridge and a team from the 1058th PC & RG undertook the heavy steel work on the bridge and they were soon making good progress. Lt Col, Clayton A. Ross was walking over the bridge accompanied by his Exec Officer when about halfway across he heard a sharp crack. It was a rivethead shearing. The whole deck trembled, dust rose and the next moment he was in the water. The center span was twisting and buckling, then it fell into the water along with the adjacent spans. In the collapse of the bridge 6 members of the 276th EB were killed and 11 missing along with 60 injured. The commander of the 1058th PC & RG, Major Carr was killed; 7 of his men were missing and 6 injured. A German demolition charge some days earlier had weakened the bridge, but the immediate cause was thought to be the vibrations from German and US artillery fire. Within 3 days the US engineers had built and opened a class 40 floating Baily bridge to replace the Bridge at Remagen!

The Roosevelt Bridge.

The 1058th were involved in construction of this road bridge over the Rhine and Lippe rivers and named after the president who had died less than a week before it was built.

Colin.

Colin, Thanks for the information on my dads 1058th PC&R ENGRS .What book did you find that info IN?I just recieved the Battle of the bulge 50th anniversary book.It had a guy named gene s. crocker from the( 1058th engr.pc&r group,AUS, corps of engrs) in it.He stated his group landed at omaha beachand crossed threw stlo and into grandville,fr.He said they repaired it in recored time moved on to cherbourg.He said they then helped with the reairs there until being moved to the front(the bulge)in DEC 1944.They participated in these battles: northern france,ardennes,rhineland,central europe,APT Philippine liberation.Thanks donald rhyne columbia ,il

Colin and I both have a book called:

The Corps of Engineers - The War Against Germany - Authors: Alfred M. Beck; Abe Bortz; Charles W. Lynch; Lidia Mayo; And Ralph F. Weld - Publisher: Department of the Army -

The book describes in detail the role of the Army Corps Engineers in various campaigns, from North Africa, Italy, as well as Central and Western Europe, from 1941-1944. Includes photos, maps... - Recommended to me by Rod O'Barr. Received the book today (August 9th, 2004), and have already found it intriguing. There are numerous references to the 36th, 39th and 540th Engineers and it will be a tremendous help to me while trying to write a concise history of the VI Corps Engineers.

The above paragraph was taken from my BOOKS page on the main site. It was my quick review years ago when I received it.

Marion J Chard

Marion, Thanks for the book name ,I just bought it on amazon.I also have a big green book by karl c dod , the us army in ww2 (technical services) Titled="the corps of engineers: The war against japan " .If you ever need it for reference.donald rhyne

:armata_PDT_37:
Marion J Chard

This is what makes replying so worthwhile, a successful outcome and a grateful member.

Colin.

Hello, my name is donald rhyne my dad Virgil rhyne was with this group 1058th ENGRS PC&R group in ww2.Was in england assembling the mullberrries as a welder pre-dday.then to omaha beach d+? in operation cobra.over to grainville france to repair this port,also cherborgh later.Later Shipped to the hurtagen forest operation.Had trenchfoot either at hurtegen battles or battle of the bulge?shipped home before his group was decimated at the remagen bridge collapse,6 of his group lost.Trying to find a guy named lightfoot?Any help is appricated.donald rhyne columbia,illinois

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to the Group! Deborah Gregory 2 3,245 10-13-2018, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Hi All! - 1139th Combat Engineering group Nancy Beller 10 12,110 01-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter