Farewell Herbert Lundy - 1301st Engineer

I received this from Larry. I am posting the email along with obit. My condolences to Larry and the rest of the family, and to his fellow engineers of the 1301st.

Marion:

My dad Herbert H. Lunday Company D 1301st Engineers 3rd Army passed away yesterday morning at 7:30 am Thursday, November 25, 2010.

He was 86.

-- To my Grandfather who passed this morning.... I believe my father said it best today, " I always was taught and believed that when a good man was taken into Heaven, it rained. And my goodness, just look outside, it’s pouring!!!” Jon Lunday (Larry's son)

Herbert Lunday (Papaw) You will be missed!!!!

==================

Herbert Henry Lunday was born July 8, 1924, in Des Arc, Arkansas. He died November 25, 2010, in Stuttgart, Arkansas, where he had resided for the past several years. He lived most of his life in Augusta. He was a Christian and a long-time member of the First Baptist Church of Augusta.

Herbert was preceded in death by his parents, Howard and Beulah Lunday, and sisters Lois Jernigan and Claudean Lunday. He is survived by Marion Lee Lunday, his faithful wife of 68 years who was always at his side. He also leaves three children, five grandchildren, and four great grandchildren: son Herbert and wife Mary Beth Lunday of West Plains Missouri, and their son Aaron and wife Kimberly Lunday of Rogersville, Missouri; daughter Carol and husband Jerry Smith of Stuttgart, Arkansas, their daughter DeAnne and husband Chris Dickson and children Kaylee and Dee Dickson, and their son Jason and wife Cheryl Smith and children Jaycie and Jonathan Smith, all of Stuttgart; and son Larry and wife Evelyn Lunday of Searcy, and their son Jon Lunday of Pangburn and his fiancé Shelly Hamrick of Quitman, Texas, and daughter Lori Lunday of Searcy. He is also survived by a brother, Emmett Lunday and wife Ruth of Lubbock, Texas.

In his childhood, Herbert felt the hardships of the Great Depression. In early adulthood, he endured the horrors of a world war. Life challenges notwithstanding, he returned from the war, rolled up his sleeves and went to work. In doing so, he took a giant step out of poverty for himself and his family and ultimately enabled his children and their children to reach a far better life.

Herbert was a talented craftsman and a highly respected community member. Even today, it remains a mark of considerable distinction to live in a home built by Herbert Lunday. He loved the outdoors and cherished time spent with his many friends. He was the last survivor of the original Buckeye Deer Camp.

Herbert H. Lunday was a gentle, kind, patient, generous and loving husband, father, grandfather and friend. He left his world a far better place.

Visitation will be Saturday, November 27 at 1:00 PM and Funeral at 2;00 PM at the First Baptist Church in Augusta, Arkansas

post-2-1290965065_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Herbert_Lundy_1301st_Engineer.jpg (Size: 23.5 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I received this from Larry. I am posting the email along with obit. My condolences to Larry and the rest of the family, and to his fellow engineers of the 1301st.

I just saw this....my condolences to the Lundy family. That was a wonderful obit and he must have been a great guy to have served with.

Pete:

Thank you for posting and honoring the memory of Herbert. I appreciate it, as I'm sure his family and WWII buddies do too.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell Capt John Fallon 36th Engineer PDP2020 2 4,880 10-25-2021, 10:09 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Farewell Tony Stefanelli - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 4 7,171 08-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Farewell to Vincent J. Consiglio - 291st Engineer Walt's Daughter 4 9,042 11-25-2017, 09:51 AM
  Farewell Bob Feland - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 1 4,794 08-27-2017, 06:24 PM
  Farewell Louis J. Slonina - 148th Engineer Walt's Daughter 1 5,124 05-27-2016, 06:54 PM
Last Post: buk2112
  Farewell Marty Marsh - 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 4 6,148 02-29-2016, 09:28 PM
  Farewell John Sefko - 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 3,453 02-23-2016, 09:35 AM
  Farewell Joe Izzillo - 394th Engineer Walt's Daughter 4 5,968 01-24-2016, 03:29 AM
  Farewell Don Walters - 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 5 7,454 08-18-2015, 11:03 PM
  Farewell Thomas Dewey Shockley, Jr - 1260th Engineer Walt's Daughter 1 4,085 08-11-2015, 12:37 PM