Goodbye Mama, I’m off to Yokohama

A great letter concerning one of the songs on our music site (it's also featured in my documentary)!

Hello:

I came across your web site while I was looking for the lyrics to a song that I remember hearing off of a 78LP my grandma had in her collection. I thought the title was “Goodbye Mama, I’m off to Okinawa.” However, I can now only ever found reference to “Goodbye Mama, I’m off to Yokohama.” (Fred Coots)

However, I remember some different lyrics that do not appear in the lyrics for Yokohama. These lyrics, in-between the chorus, included:

“We’re learning jujitsu, where you kick with the feet.

We’ll kick ‘em in their togas and watch them retreat.”

And

“Tell dad I plan a big surprise, nobody knows.

I’ll bring him back a Jap valet to care for his clothes.”

Additionally, I have found personal histories from marines and sailors who shipped out to Okinawa, and they reference playing/singing “Goodbye Mama, I’m off to Okinawa” in their accounts.

By any chance do you know anything about this? Was a variation of the Yokohama song perhaps created specially for the troops heading off to Okinawa?

Thanks for your consideration.

Gene Becker

Madison, WI

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ella Fitzgerald: Every Time We Say Goodbye sixgun 1 4,466 11-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  Goodbye Dear, I'll Be Back in a Year Walt's Daughter 0 3,081 04-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter