359th engineers

My name is Aaron Drennan and I'am the grandson of a deaceased member of the 359th engineer regiment. I have been given a book from my grandmother that was published by the regiment in 1945 in Holland. The book is very detailed with lots of photos, copies of orders, and a manifest of all members that shipped overseas. This book is so detailed it gives individual stories from different soldiers. I hope that if anyone has any questions about the regiment or if surviving members might comment on the book if they recieved one to.

Aaron, I am always interested in seeing new members here and in welcoming them, looking into the history of what they know of relatives serving with the US Corps of Engineers during WWII.

The 359th landed on OMAHA beach 9th June 1944 and as the largest unit in the US engineers POL organisation was soon operating on the Cherbourg peninsula. The pipelines they constructed and operated there were joined to the famous PLUTO (pipeline under the ocean) across the English channel, sending MT80 motor fuel and avgas aviation gasoline south to Carentan, Alencon and beyond, starting by the 11th of June!

I would be interested to know Aaron, if the above ties in with what you have learnt of your grandfathers service? I hope you enjoy your stay on Marions great website.

Colin

Colin:

Thank you for quickly responding to a new member. Sure makes me proud and happy to have you here to help out. Can't tell you how much that means to me. It especially makes me happy when members pick up my slack when I'm multi-tasking.

Aaron:

Hope you find our forum and main site to your liking. It's nice having you here. I look forward to hearing more about your father.

Marion

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion, it's an honour and a priviledge to be associated with you and your website and replying to new members is a way of me learning more about the US Corps of Engineers. If I'm 'taking up the slack' that's even better for I know how much multi-tasking you have to do! It means a lot to me too, being here.

As it is, a lot of what I say comes from our 'bible' and you were the person who led me to buying a copy, something I will never regret.

Colin.

What you have written is right on to what the book goes through. There is no author to give credit for this book. A few years ago I looked up another soldier that was listed in the manifest as being in my Grandfather's platoon. When I contacted him I described the book to him and he had never heard of it although he knew my remembered my Grandfather. But when I started dropping names of different officers he was astonished. One thing it talks about is they had the job of building the dummy tanks for Pattons fictious army. The book goes on to say that for most of the war they were in close proximity to tanks at all times, which makes sense because of the few stories he used to tell, was about being in jeeps with blacked out headlights and there was a time that they had to march through the snow and when they would stop they would sit down and the person in front would allow the person behind to put his feet in their armpits. As soon as they hit the beach the first job they had was clearing beach obsticles and mine fields. One story was of a local French farmer who had observed the Germans planting the minefields and when the engineers came up he showed them his diagram to help them clear them. Do you want my email? I can go into more detail on whatever you want to know.

Aaron, I am always interested in seeing new members here and in welcoming them, looking into the history of what they know of relatives serving with the US Corps of Engineers during WWII.

The 359th landed on OMAHA beach 9th June 1944 and as the largest unit in the US engineers POL organisation was soon operating on the Cherbourg peninsula. The pipelines they constructed and operated there were joined to the famous PLUTO (pipeline under the ocean) across the English channel, sending MT80 motor fuel and avgas aviation gasoline south to Carentan, Alencon and beyond, starting by the 11th of June!

I would be interested to know Aaron, if the above ties in with what you have learnt of your grandfathers service? I hope you enjoy your stay on Marions great website.

Colin

This website is great. I can't wait to get in contact with other people that have a desire to reach through time and grab information.

Colin:

Thank you for quickly responding to a new member. Sure makes me proud and happy to have you here to help out. Can't tell you how much that means to me. It especially makes me happy when members pick up my slack when I'm multi-tasking.

Aaron:

Hope you find our forum and main site to your liking. It's nice having you here. I look forward to hearing more about your father.

Marion