Pearl Harbor Vet Dies

:(

Russel Reetz, a sailor aboard the USS Ward which was credited with firing the first American shots of World War II at Pearl Harbor, has died. The Maplewood resident was 88.

He died of complications related to lymphoma and heart and lung problems.

Reetz was 25 years old when his fellow crew members, including 82 reservists from St. Paul, fired two shots at a Japanese two-man submarine trying to sneak into Pearl Harbor a little more than an hour before the attack on Dec. 7, 1941.

One shot sunk the submarine, but it wasn't until two years ago that the wreckage was found by the Hawaii Undersea Research Laboratory.

Reetz was elated by the discovery, said his daughter, Cindy Tritz. He asked her to write a letter to a skeptical admiral he met, because the admiral told him he didn't think it was possible that the Ward's shells could sink a submarine, she said.

``The letter said, 'Have you heard that they found it?''' Tritz said. ``He got a very nice response from the admiral that said, 'I'm glad to believe the impossible can happen.'''

In his later years, his involvement with the Ward become more important to him, said his widow, Loretta Reetz. ``That was what kept him going,'' she said.

He became the secretary-treasurer of the First Shot Naval Vets, a club formed in 1947 by the men of the Ward. The group also helped get the gun from the Ward brought to St. Paul in 1958, where it now sits on the Capitol grounds.

Born and raised in West St. Paul, Reetz joined the Naval Reserves in 1940. After the end of the war, he became a pipe fitter, taught courses at a technical school and worked at a wastewater treatment plant. He retired about 20 years ago.

Reetz is scheduled to be buried Tuesday at Fort Snelling National Cemetery.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

AS a sidenote - there is a show on The History Channel - Undersea Something-or-other... that has the footage of the Hawaii folks discovering and exploring the mini-sub. It is suprisingly well preserved. The debate surrounding if in fact The Ward actually hit the sub is clearly put to bed - the hole from the round is plainly visable at the base of the sub's tower.

Cool show - hopefully you will be able to catch a re-run!

-ed

Hi Ed:

Here is something that I think you would enjoy, as well as the other members of this forum. A great link on The Ward:

The Ward

Thanks. I hope I will get to see the show when it reruns. Do me a favor, if you know it's coming around again, give me a holler.

Marion J Chard

Ed,

Undersea Detectives. Its a great show. They also found one of the DD tanks sunk off of Normandy on D-day. I'll write to thw history channel to see if I can find the video of the Hawaii find.

Tex

Excellent! We have our very own WWII Internet Detectives. With all of us working together, we'll have a pretty impressive information system. We'll await their answer.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pearl Harbor attacked and already in the Army arve 6 11,019 10-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  More Pearl Harbor Photos Walt's Daughter 22 23,982 05-16-2007, 12:16 PM
  This Day in History - FDR dies 4-12-1945 Walt's Daughter 0 3,965 04-12-2007, 09:10 AM
  More Pearl Harbor pics Walt's Daughter 11 15,361 03-26-2006, 12:57 PM