Hi! My name is Kim

First I want to say Thank You to anyone who has served, in any branch, for the United States. I know I have freedom today because of sacrifices that other people have made.

I am hoping to find more information on the company that my Grandfather served with during WWII. I have some of his papers. I have heard that he could have been attached to the 14th but then was told it was most likely the 6th he was attached to since he came home after Europe. Any help would be appreciated. I am already very proud of him (he is no longer with us) but I have this strong desire to learn more.

Thanks,

Kim

He was with Co.A 125th Armored Engineer Battalion

His Battles and Campaigns listed were:

Sicily, Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, Rhineland, Southern France, Central Europe

Hello Kim. Here is an extract from THE CORPS OF ENGINEERS: THE WAR AGAINST GERMANY.

In the early morning hours of New Years Day 1945, the 1st Battallion the 540th Engineers Combat Regiment assembled at Baerenthal, organising as infantry to help meet the enemy.......... to open a path for isolated elements of the 125th Armoured Engineer Battalion.

By mid-morning the rescued 125th Armored Engineer Battalion took positions in the main line with Company C, 540th Engineer Regiment, in the face of the rapidly developing German onslaught.

LATER-APRIL 6th 1945.

Breaking out of the Rhine bridgehead near Worms..........sent VI Corps to the south.

Near Lohr. Lt Melvin O. Robinson of the 125th Armored Engineer Battallion, reconnoitering in his jeep with his driver. Pfc George A. Bartels saw a Mark VI tank by the road..... were fired upon and wounded ........ then the germans threw down their weapons and surrendered!

Your Grandfather was definately attached to VI Corps.

My area of interest is Sicily which I have been researching for over 7 years.

Here I can find only the 17th Armored Engineer Battalion, in the 7th US Army, JOSS FORCE, commanded by Major General Lucian K. Truscott.

Colin.

Colin thanks for your wonderful response! And Kim, a warm welcome to our forum. So glad you found us on the net.

I try and touch base as soon as possible to let you know how much I appreciate your membership.

More later...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Welcome here Kim. You will definetely enjoy your time here.

Regards,

Frank

Kim,

There was a book written about the 125th Armored Engineer Battalion right after the war.

Wallace, Franklin, History, 125th Armored Engineer Battalion, Camp Shanks, New York, to V-E Day Inclusive Diessen: Jose C. Huber, 1945 96 Pages.

You should be able to inter-library loan the book. If not send me an email at

troy.morgan@us.army.mil

Troy

Kim,

There was a book written about the 125th Armored Engineer Battalion right after the war.

Wallace, Franklin, History, 125th Armored Engineer Battalion, Camp Shanks, New York, to V-E Day Inclusive Diessen: Jose C. Huber, 1945 96 Pages.

You should be able to inter-library loan the book. If not send me an email at

troy.morgan@us.army.mil

Troy

Troy,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I will send you a message later. I had written one but my mailbox was full and it didn't go out. I am heading to the library within the next half hour. I really appreciate you telling me about this. Nice to meet you.

Kim

The book on the 125th is downloadable here:
http://digicom.bpl.lib.me.us/ww_reg_his/16/

Also, I hope to bring a website online about the 125th soon. Right now though all I have is the book as well as the 14th's history book so if anyone has anything they can share that would be great.

Kim, I am new to Marion's website. It is always good to hear from someone who appreciates the sacrifices that others have made for them. Love to hear more about your grandfather. I am amazed to see how much help you get from members here, even after so much time has passed and hope your search goes well.

Glen Blasingim