Garland "Mutt" Simmons

Old friend of my grandpa's died last week. His son told my mom at the service that Mutt was in the first wave on Iwo. He was all that and a good man and a good friend to my grandpa, too.

Garland Joseph "Mutt" Simmons , 89, of Oak Hill, WV died on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 at Raleigh General Hospital in Beckley, WV.

Born February 25, 1921 at Minden, WV he was the son of the late Charles and Ollie Nugen Simmons.

Mr. Simmons was a retired coal miner and a retired agent for Peoples Life Insurance.

He was a member of the United Mine Workers of America, the American Legion and Bowling League president.

Mutt was a World War II US Marine Corps veteran. He participated in action at Iwo Jima in 1945.

His wife, Phyllis Marie Parrish Simmons and two sons, Michael Joseph "Mike" Simmons and Terry Wayne Simmons preceded him in death as did one brother, Eddie and two sisters, Frances and Mabel.

Survivors include one son, Charles Phillip "Chuck" Simmons of Oak Hill, three stepchildren, Vicki Lynn Eades of Mt. Nebo, James Ray Miller of Ansted and Daniel Lane Miller of Kingsland, GA, a brother, James R. "Bob" Simmons of Denver, NC and a sister, Ginny Roarke of Royalton, OH.

He is also survived by eighteen grandchildren and five great grandchildren.

Services will be on Sunday, October 31, 2010 at 2:00 P.M. at Lover's Leap Baptist Church in Ansted with Rev. Ron George, Sr. officiating. Entombment will be at Restlawn Memory Gardens Mausoleum in Ansted with military graveside rites by Oak Hill VFW Post #3110.

Visitation will be held at Tyree Funeral Home on Saturday, October 30, 2010 from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM

Online condolences may be sent at www.tyreefuneralhome.com

Arrangements by Tyree Funeral Home, Oak Hill, WV

God bless those heroes who suffered and died, for plain folks, like you and me.

Brooke, it is always sad to hear of the passing of another WWII veteran. In this case I have an affinity with your grandpa's friend in that my father and grandfather were both British Royal Marines. Also my father was in charge of the Royal Marine Band that played in London at the premiere of the movie, THE SANDS OF IWO JIMA.

Colin.

Brooke:

Here, here. I know it's getting more and more difficult to read about these passings. I know you feel exactly the same way. God bless your g-pa's buddy and may he rest in peace. He certainly deserves it.

Colin, that was an interesting fact about the band:

Also my father was in charge of the Royal Marine Band that played in London at the premier of the movie, THE SANDS OF IWO JIMA.
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"