Marine Corps field artillery at its best !!

I was searching photos of mine online and found this old thread. It was surprising to find that it was not entirely deleted after 30 days. I found that it also had a bunch of good info on it (from 6 years ago). Anyway, it does have some good info - perhaps it could be moved to a more permanent location?

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Todd ,

Americans have already retired the M198. What's going to happen with them after they're replaced by the M777 howitzer? Despite its (M198) very long service history, it's still a very capable weapon system in the right hands. It would be a real shame if you'll just scrap them.

The M777 is more mobile than the M109 ? it's light enought to be easily transportable by air and needs a smaller crew ?

On the picture or are you ? Are you the soldier who has his hand on the hip?

Yes , I would like well, you send a message when there are ways you can correct my English .

Vee

I can also answer Vee's questions (since it looks like I missed them before)

• As for the M198, yes, all of them have been removed from service in the USMC and Army. There may be some still in use with the reserves in the army, but not in the Marines. Not sure what happened to them all. Things like that often get sold to friendly small governments.
  • The M777 is much lighter than the M198‎ (4,200 kg [9,300 lb] for the 777 and 7,154 kg [15,772 lb] for the 198) so it is easier to tow. Funny thing is that the USMC got a bigger truck (7 ton istead of our old 5 ton) just as we got the lighter howitzer.
  • Nope - that's not me with the hand on the hip. I'm not in that picture
  • And as always, your English is great!

Ya, we can move this from Shooting the Breeze to??? I will take a look. I am surprised it wasn't auto-deleted too, for everything in this category was supposed to disappear after 30 days. LOL!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Okay, you wish is my command!!! How's that for instant service? :waving:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

:icon_pray::thewoman: Awesome, as usual!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vintage WWII ads in Field & Stream 41-45 Walt's Daughter 2 3,332 12-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  war dogs trained by Quartermaster Corps arve 13 11,713 10-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Last Post: 206thmpco
  What is a WWII Corps? Walt's Daughter 3 3,644 05-18-2007, 11:06 PM
  333rd - 3rd Army - Black Artillery Unit Walt's Daughter 9 10,623 10-02-2006, 10:37 PM
  Merchant Marine Walt's Daughter 1 3,699 09-26-2005, 08:35 PM