sent a package to Iraq this week

I finally got off my behind and sent a care package to my engineer buddy in Iraq this week. His wife Lynette gave me a list of some of his favorite things and I made sure I included them. So I got to go shopping in our little country store. That was fun.

Ben I hope the package gets to you okay and nothing is melted, especially the cheese. Though I suppose you could make grilled cheese sandwiches! :D

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Good for you Marion. I have a friend over there as well and I need to get him a package, maybe this will kickstart my procrasstinating butt ;) I try to send one out every month but it seems to slip sometimes. You get wrapped up in your normal life and then suddenly start thinking about what they are going thru and it usually motivates me to get something together.

For future note, I would shy away from anything that can melt. Chocolate, cheese, anything that won't last more than a few days, cookies, etc. Hard candy, suckers, stuff like that is cool but remember, it can get to 130 in the shade over there. Beef jerky, baby wipes, Crystal lemonade mix, anything to read, batteries, all big hits.

Choclate seems a big hit. I sent a package to a guy in Afganistan a long time ago and he never got it though...Bummer...He's back already...

Need some of the old D-Ration chocolate that you could pound a tent stake with and have for supper later ;)

Marion I also sent a care package today, to Taylor. Its my first to my son over there...I hope he gets it soon. He didnt say he needed anything but I sent stuff anyway and am getting ready to start putting another together. You know you can get flat rate priority boxes from the post office. Its $7.70 a box no matter the weight. So I will try that for a while. The boxes arent as big as the other priority boxes but you can cram quite a bit in them and the other way I have paid over $10 so its a little saving. Thanks for sending your they need to know they are supported over there Hugs Cindy

I figure every little thing counts and will help to brighten up a day. B)

Thanks for the heads up on the packaging too. I will remember that next time.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hero's unwelcome Wounded Iraq vet jeered... Walt's Daughter 4 5,628 02-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Clementine
  The 36th is coming home from Iraq Walt's Daughter 1 3,554 02-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Navy SEAL cleared in Iraq abuse case Walt's Daughter 0 2,685 04-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Iraq Combat Footage: Look for America; Vietnam & World War 2 sixgun 0 3,026 08-21-2009, 06:34 AM
Last Post: sixgun
  Capt O'Brien in Iraq part II CaptO 30 28,799 06-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Last Post: 206thmpco
  U.S. Forces in Iraq Pay Tribute to Bataan Death March Victims Walt's Daughter 1 3,919 05-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  34th in Iraq CaptO 2 4,527 05-11-2009, 08:59 AM
  Officials Announce Upcoming Iraq, Afghanistan Deployments Walt's Daughter 0 2,617 03-02-2009, 09:36 PM
  Rugged in Iraq Walt's Daughter 0 2,813 01-17-2009, 07:27 PM
  Capt Todd in Iraq CaptO 29 28,190 01-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Last Post: janis337