Camp near Siegberg Germany?

Meindorf! That is only 6 - 7 km from the Michaelsberg, and on the same bank of the Rhine so they did not have to cross it swimming. They only had to cross the river Sieg, but this is possible. The Sieg area at Meindorf was occupied by the 78th Infantry Division's 311th Infantry Regiment on 21 March 1945.

Christoph

AWESOME Christoph! More to follow!

And Happy New Year to you Marion! And Everyone!

Jean

Christoph,

I had used Google Earth when I first heard the news, but while it helped me as kind of an overview, it was not enough.

Your 6 to 7 km is exactly what I needed - while I know km's I am not so comfortable with them and googled for the equivalence. 6 km is 3.72823 miles and 7 km is 4.3496 miles. Man those were long miles during the days Dad and Guidry were on the run and hiding until towards the end they got to the farm house and the barn where they encountered the Dutch boy.

Just thinking about this - makes me want to fly over there and with you try to duplicate what might have been their path....

More to follow,

Jean

Christoph, I did want you to know I have stayed in touch with a few of the families where the husband did pass through Siegburg. I am so curious as to how the different men were wounded, and where, so that they ended up passing through the Abbey.

It really is an amazing number of men who were fortunate enough to land there first. And really amazing how such limited resources had to be used to accommodate them all. This will be a lifelong study.

I have recently heard from the son of a gentleman who passed through the Abbey. Always fascinating to see what little pieces of information might be out there - somewhere. His Dad was not there long but long enough to have experienced the Dec. bombing. What an impact it had on him and everyone.

Regarding your news on the 311th of the 78th - that is Big News! It may hasten finding out more about the debriefing etc. I have done a lot of research on the 78th - so let's see what your new information brings.... I have a lot of newsletters from the 78th organization but have never found, yet, anything on Siegburg.

Christoph, having you in my life is like a Miracle!

Jean

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Camp Edwards 1940-1945 arve 11 19,148 02-25-2018, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Lamsdorf: Stalag VIIIB 344 Prisoner of War Camp 1940 - 1945 Walt's Daughter 1 3,324 11-14-2014, 08:00 AM
  Viele Grüße aus Much Germany Walt's Daughter 2 6,155 03-17-2011, 08:14 PM
  'Great Escape' prison camp veterans Walt's Daughter 2 4,471 01-31-2010, 10:34 AM
  WW II vet held in Nazi slave camp breaks silence Walt's Daughter 0 3,132 11-28-2008, 08:15 AM
  Occupation Duty, Germany, late 1945 curtdol 4 7,649 09-02-2005, 06:15 PM