Rocky featured in Italian Newspaper

Our very own Rocky:

This article appeared in a Bologna, Italy newspaper this week. A friend of Rocky's, Matteo, had this article published. Matteo, then placed it on his blog. From there I was able to translate it using my Google Toolbar (love THAT thang!!) Also including the original clipping.

Here's the translation...

Thursday, August 26, 2010

The dream of traveling soldier Rocky on Facebook "Liberal Italy, want to go back"

WAS THE April 21, 1945, after six hundred days of war on the Italian front, from Salerno to Cassino Anzio through Florence and the Apennines, participated in the liberation of Bologna with the 34th Army Division Red Bull statunitense.Oggi Roque J Rioja, for friends "Rocky" has 88 years and is on his Facebook page . Writes and "chat" as a boy and a dream: "Back in Italy, in places where I fought and not only - he says - then there was no time to visit this beautiful country. I only remember one day in Venice, I took the gondola went to SanMarco square and cathedral, ate and drank my C ration of vino.Roma but I saw her passing just once away from the Coliseum. "

ROCKY now lives in Kansas City, his hometown and it is clear who is proud of Mexican origin. For his actions of war was highly decorated. Bronze Medal 'I have found the photo while I am honored dalgenerale Bolte, "he says, laPurple lavalorosa Heart" purple heart "for the brave and much more grateful." Our division, the 34th, which landed at Salerno and ended Laguerre Brescia in May 1945, to return home but did not have the recognition he deserved. My honor guard was made by a person, a neighbor who thanked me, "he says with a pinch of 'irony.

Years later it was rebuilt. In 2004 he was received at the White House by President GeorgeW.Bush.

On Facebook, for two years now this sprightly veteran after the war he worked as a railroad worker, has found a new life. He has over a hundred friends from around the world. From Italy. "I like to speak with them, I was invited to celebrate the release of Livorno by the Americans by some boys. With my heart was with them. " Online but also provides music Mexican Kiss. Birthday Sunday when he poured in from StatiUniti as many greetings from Italy. "I like to talk with young people, many feel that they thank me for what we did," he says.

Episodes of war but does not like talking much. "Dreadful moment dead and many friends, always fought for six hundred giorni.Uso us because we were all together," he says. "First in North Africa with the 135esima Infantry Division, explains - Then with the 34th Red Bull in Salerno, Battipaglia then , Benevento, Mount Pantano, Anzio, Monte labattagliadi Cassino.Passammo the Volturno three times, then Florence, Cecina, Livorno. And hell on the Gothic Line in our Apennines. "Winter 1944, cold, mud, dirt, little food was brought by mule from the Italian and thank you again today," says Rocky. On April 21, 1945 liberation of Bologna. "When we remember that we made in Bologna cleaning sauerkraut (German ed). After Bologna, the 34th began its march along the Po Valley now libera.Entrò also Reggio Emilia with the partisans. Watch a video on the internet period on that day. "I also remember that city, but in passing, few momenti.Proseguimmo to other cities, then arrivammoa Brescia where the Germans surrendered, and we all wondered: When you return to home?. "Sixty years later, from Kansas City, via Facebook, this veteran is a hymn to life, but seems to beg the world network." When you return in Italy? ".

2010_08_26_IL_RESTO_DEL_CARLINO_19_18_1.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   2010_08_26_IL_RESTO_DEL_CARLINO_19_18_1.pdf (Size: 721.76 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

!

VIDEO - great footage

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

!

VIDEO - great footage

All of this was done via Facebook. I don.t know how he got my name. But anyway FOR ONE DAY I FEEL LIKE I AM ON TOP OF THE WORLD. Tomorrow this will be history and a memory..

Rocky.

This is a very fine tribute to you and those who served with you .I always like to hear your comments on the forum .The video was also very interesting .

I wish you continued good health.

Bill Hamiter

Rocky,

The Italian do not forget your contribution.

It is a small tribute to you and those who served with you.

Andrea

How cool is this, huh? Our "sprightly veteran" indeed! And no way will this become a memory too soon there Rocky! For such a seasoned citizen, you seem to have quite the memory. Glad to call you friend.

[Coming home from Okinawa today. I will have some cool pictures to post.]

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

How cool is this, huh? Our "sprightly veteran" indeed! And no way will this become a memory too soon there Rocky! For such a seasoned citizen, you seem to have quite the memory. Glad to call you friend.

[Coming home from Okinawa today. I will have some cool pictures to post.]

All I can say--It's an honor to have you all as friends GOD BLESS you Sir, in Okinawa.

Hey Rocky: Congrats for making the international mews. You sure deswerve it.

Just got back on the web after almost a year of treatments and hospitals but still bck on. Joe j3rdinf@comcast.net

j3rdinf,

Welcome back . Sorry to hear you have had a bad time health-wise . We look forward to hearing more from you.

We have pictures of the temporary burial place of my wife's father in Italy at Marazanalo Nouva. There were several 3rd ID graves

nearby . He was KIA on 7 Nov 43 near Riardo .See his memiors on the main website.Major Lester C. O'Neal, MD 39th Combat Engineers .These sites are North West of Casseta and South East of Cassino. Were you in this area?

ColBill

j3rdinf,

Welcome back . Sorry to hear you have had a bad time health-wise . We look forward to hearing more from you.

We have pictures of the temporary burial place of my wife's father in Italy at Marazanalo Nouva. There were several 3rd ID graves

nearby . He was KIA on 7 Nov 43 near Riardo .See his memiors on the main website.Major Lester C. O'Neal, MD 39th Combat Engineers .These sites are North West of Casseta and South East of Cassino. Were you in this area?

ColBill

We.(34th Divn) was at Cassino When Pres. Truman ordered the bombing of the Monastary. We were atop of a hill just south of the Monastary. I don't remember Casseta, but then again to damn much noise going on.

So happy to see you back Joe, Hope all is OK with you. SURE GOO TO SEE --j34dinf. again !!!! Rocky

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rocky on Blog Walt's Daughter 0 2,926 02-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Al Crocker - 34th Inf Div - newspaper clipping Walt's Daughter 2 5,052 01-21-2010, 11:43 AM
  Letter to Rocky - Mt Pantano Walt's Daughter 6 9,672 07-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  Info on Italian campaign Walt's Daughter 27 63,000 04-17-2008, 10:57 AM
  Rocky and I Walt's Daughter 9 9,938 11-27-2006, 07:21 PM
  Italian Memorials Walt's Daughter 28 26,128 07-16-2006, 04:38 PM
  Rocky with the Bush's Walt's Daughter 9 10,025 03-21-2006, 06:42 PM
  The Italian Campaign & animated map Walt's Daughter 1 196,063 03-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Custermen