720th Railway Operating Battalion

My father, Jack Casey, was a member of the 720th Railway Operating Battalion. As with most WW2 vets he very rarely spoke of his experiences in the war. I do remember him speaking of St. Lo and seeing the heavy bombers overhead. I also remember him mentioning St. Mere Eglise but no detail.

I know many of you have the same feelings of wishing you asked more questions while our parents were still with us. My Dad passed away in January of 2006. In cleaning out the house I found several ribbons and his dog tags in an old box in the basement. One ribbon had four battle stars. Also I found two pictures, one very graphic of the death camps.

Can anyone shed any light as to where the 720th went in Europe? I know that after the Bulge they were in Liege Belgium and crossed the Rhine shortly after but can't find any mention of liberating any camps or any additional detail. Beyond that I am frustrated at the dead ends.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jack Casey

Welcome Jack.

I don't have any information at my fingertips, but will see what I can find out. Anyone out there with any info whatsoever, is encouraged to share your information with Jack.

Thanks for joining.

Marion

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hi Jack, welcome to the forum.

Here is a page that has a chronological history of the 720th, and a couple of photos. There is alot of info on the other railway bns on the website..

U.S. Army Railway Units of the past

That is so cool Larry. I am so glad I have you around to help everyone.

:armata_PDT_37:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"