Crew of B-17 #42-38162

I am going to copy a post I just made on another forum. Will save me from having to re-type everything. Very interesting story, to say the least. Here is what I posted today at:

http://www.401stforum.com/forumhome/viewto...?f=17&t=668

I look forward to a reply on their forum. How exciting!!!

------------------

IDPF for crew of B-17 42-38162

Postby Walts Daughter on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi:

Will try to make a long story short... I am a WWII historian, have a website, forum, and recently produced a documentary, No Bridge Too Far, which was released this summer. My area of expertise is - combat engineers, with specific emphasis on VI Corps, the 36th, 39th, 540th (my dad's unit), and the 1108th Engineer Regiments. Now here's how this ties in with your site and the forum...

I have been corresponding with a veteran by the name of H.E. "Tom" Harvey, 36th Combat Engineer. In a recent letter, he shared the story of his friend, William R. Mooney. He and Bill enlisted on 10, Nov, 1942 at Fort Smith. He goes on to say, "545 days later, his B-17 on 9 March, 1944, in a flight of three B-17's, were returning from a mission to Marienberg, East of Berlin. Three FW 190's shot the nose off of Mooney's 17, and three witnesses on two sister 17's saw Mooney's 17 crash in to the Baltic Sea, three miles off German Soil - No Survivors!"

He further states,

"So on 19-07-2010 I received the ten (10) man crew's records (IDPF) Individual Deceased Personnel Files, 300 pages..from Kentucky's Fort Knox."

"I am figuring to try to find help to review these records and then fix a story. Any suggestions?"

"One of the crew T/Sgt Norell - was from Clemens, MI. The others were from Montana, Idaho, Washington, Kentucky, Oklahoma, South Dakota, North Carolina, Missouri and Arkansas."

"The records include letters from the families pleading for various reasons, and oh so pitiful, which brings tears!!"

Sincerely,

H.E. "Tom" Harvey

------------------

I then wrote back to Tom and told him to send me everything, and I promised I would find the "right" people to share this with. So today I typed "b-17 42-38162" into the Google Search Engine, and he I am.

I am just beginning to go through each file. Right now it would appear there are a few files missing. I am copying information from your main site, and will asterisk the men I DO have files for:

Crew Members

*Pilot 1st Lt W.R. Dawes Jr. MIA

*Copilot 2nd Lt J.D. Pratt MIA

*Navigator 2nd Lt J.A. Schuberg MIA

*Bombardier 2nd Lt R.M. Van Noy MIA

*Radio Operator T/Sgt W.L. Brown MIA

Engr / Top Turret T/Sgt O.A. Norell MIA

*Ball Turret Gunner T/Sgt L.M. La Fountain MIA

Tail Gunner S/Sgt R.A. Gentry MIA

*Waist Gunner S/Sgt W.R. Mooney MIA

*Waist Gunner S/Sgt A.C. Aronson MIA

Among the paperwork within these files are:

Battle casualty reports, letters to the families, finding of death of missing person, physical examination for flying, amongst others.

A real treasure trove of material, which I am sure you would be happy to get your hands upon.

I have to call him and find out whether he wants me to hand these over to you, or for me to make copies first. Regardless I want to send all materials to you, so please get in touch with me. Nothing would make Tom more happy, than to know I have succeeded on my "mission".

Warmly,

Marion J Chard

Proud Daughter of Walter "Monday" Poniedzialek

540th Combat Engineer

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Oh here is the page on their main site, which refers to the crew of that B-17.

http://www.401bg.org/history/crew.asp?cid=12041

BTW, just heard back from their historian via their forum, and he said he would be delighted to receive the documents.

I just tried calling Tom at home to tell him the great news, but no one was at home. Will try again later.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Santa Rosa woman helps honor bomber crew 70 years later Walt's Daughter 0 2,534 11-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter