Rolling Thunder 2010 A Marine's Vigil !!!

For those of you who are not familiar with Rolling Thunder, every year on the Sunday before Memorial Day, 3,000 veterans on motorcycles, (hundreds of which rode completely across the country, LA to DC with "Ride for the Wall" leave the Pentagon, pass Arlington Cemetery and parade through Washington DC straight down Constitution Ave.

It is a tremendously moving experience. Absolutely fantastic. It is estimated that 3 Million People, Families, Veterans, Bikers, and folks of all kinds pack Washington DC over the Memorial Day Weekend for this event.

There is something also very special about it.

One marine, referred to as the saluting marine, stands there on Constitution Ave and salutes at attention for three straight hours and never drops his arm. It was 92 degrees there on Sunday.

That has to kill your arm standing at present arms for three solid hours. The heat must be unbearable in dress blues. He did take a drink of water with his left hand, but never dropped his right.

Wow, I'm in tears.  What true patriotism! God Bless this Marine's, God Bless America and your soldiers, past and present, who gave us this precious freedom.

Vee

I'll have to watch it when I get home.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Major Todd ,

If you look very carefully His service stripes indicate what ?

Can you tell me ?

Thank you !

Vee

Todd , You did not answer to my question.

Vee :(

Woops! Missed the post. I still haven't gotten to watch it yet. I will have to report back later.

The three stripes on his lower sleeve are service stripes. The stripes represent 4 years each (in the army they are 3 years.)

The Marine is SSgt Chambers. I found that out when I found the following:

Awesome guy!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When Letterman Read A List Of This Marine’s Injuries, His Response Left The Whole Room Silent sixgun 3 6,253 03-19-2015, 10:37 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Toys For Tots Marine Corps Reserve Guard Duty Commercial sixgun 0 2,785 11-19-2014, 05:23 AM
Last Post: sixgun
  Happy 239th Birthday United States Marine Corps. sixgun 2 4,618 11-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Rolling Thunder in HD - Memorial Day Parade, Washington D.C. 2010 sixgun 1 2,651 11-29-2011, 10:17 PM
  Gone Home - Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder sixgun 1 2,130 04-10-2011, 10:12 PM
  WINTER OF 2010/2011 afc7883 4 4,580 01-14-2011, 09:13 AM
  Slegehammer " Old Breed Marine" sixgun 4 4,497 09-10-2010, 05:10 PM
  Dedicated to The United States Marine Corps ! sixgun 4 4,611 07-25-2010, 12:01 PM