208th Combat Engineers

Hi, Tony,

I (unfortunately) never personally knew Art, and I feel enough time has passed that Art's tale would do more to honor his service than stir up unhappy memories here. Most importantly, though, is your father and his feeling about the stories- I absolutely don't want to cause him any discomfort or dig up memories he'd rather not revisit. My e-mail address is (removed for security measures), if your father is willing to share his experiences, but I understand fully and completely support the decision if he chooses to let the memories be.

Either way, please express to your father my thanks, both for sharing what he has shared, and for his service (especially now, so close to Memorial Day). He's been in my thoughts this past weekend, and I wish him and you all the best! The pictures are absolutely priceless and should be cherished and saved as such!

Kind regards,

Doug

Tony and Doug (and everyone else too). I strongly urge that you do not post your personal email addresses here, or anywhere else on public pages, for hackers and others. If you need to get in touch with each other, please use the Personal Message system here on our forum and then exchange information between yourselves. It will alleviate a lot of future problems for you. Just trying to save you some headaches.

When you log in and want to contact another member, simply click on their USERNAME and type a PM to them.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thanks Marion

Hi, Marion,

Yes- thank you! Sorry for the err!

Kind regards,

Doug

Oh, no need to apologize, just trying to spare you guys the hassle of future spam in your mailboxes, etc. :pdt12:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hi Marion, I was wondering if Doug ever found out anything further about his uncle Art Buchon. Have you heard anything?

Thanks,

Anthony Froio

Hi, Tony,

Unfortunately, no- I tried sending a couple inquiries to folks who may have been children or grandchildren, also from the platoon, but received no replies. Admittedly, since this Spring, most of my research has been put on the "back burner" since the weather got nice and I could finally get outdoors for good chunks of the day (my wife and I run a small hobby farm here in Michigan- lots of work!)

I'm not sure where to continue searching, as I've found just about all the information contained within my family resources- but if there are any suggestions for places to try next, I am always eager to continue the search!

I hope you and your dad have had a great summer- please send him my regards!

Kind regards,

Doug

Doug,

Sorry to hear that your search hasn't been too successful.

I'm going to see my dad tonight and since it's Veteran's Day I made him a CD of all his favorite Big Band songs so he can listen to the music from his youth. I will pass along your regards. Thank you.

Tony

Hi Marion,

I just wanted to update you, since I know that you had interest in my dad's story about Art Bushon a few years back. My dad has since passed away (January 2018) and my mom lives with me now. I miss my father everyday and his values and the values of that generation. It's true that their kind will likely not be seen again. I count myself lucky that I grew up with so many of the Greatest Generation and I can pass on the stories.

Thanks to YOU, Marion, for putting in your time and effort in maintaining this site. You are keeping their great memory alive.

Anthony

Hey Anthony,

I got to catch up with this string and found it very interesting. Looking at the names on the back of the picture that initiated all of this was great. I guess there is some truth to the old cliche in war movies about everyone having a nick-name! There's even a "Tex"! How cliche is that!! Perhaps every company had its Tex.

Sorry to hear of your father's passing, but it sounds like you had a lot of good years with him and that you talked to him a great deal about his time over seas. My grandfather was in the same Engineer regiment as Marion's father (although in the other battalion) which is how I cam to the forum. He, unfortunately, lived in Florida and I in Texas so we didn't see him but maybe once a year as kids. We were also told that he didn't want to talk about the war (as with a lot of those guys) so I never really talked to him about it until a few years before he died and only a few times. Fortunately, we have things like this forum to keep his stories and stories of your father alive.

It's a few years late (I was active duty Marine Corps in Okinawa in 2014 so I was pretty busy) but thanks for the post! There were great pictures and great, if sad at times, stories. Finally, thanks for bringing the post up to the top of the queue again. I really enjoyed it.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  159th Combat Engineers Bn WWII Scobie Wilcoxon 5 7,847 05-01-2021, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Mike Hinkle
  286th Army Combat Engineers Co B Jon Blankenship 2 5,101 11-19-2019, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  1264th Combat Engineers route through Europe Tom V 2 4,184 07-24-2019, 08:40 AM
  1275 Combat Engineers, Company A, 15th Army Judy 3 5,575 06-29-2019, 05:39 PM
  Daughter of an Engineer William (nmi) Carr in the 291st Co B Combat Engineers Hello Everone! blueshockeynut 34 26,662 07-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Curlock
  207th Combat Engineers son Rick Peltonen 1 3,004 06-20-2018, 05:27 PM
  1289th Combat Engineers CombatGirl 27 28,174 11-17-2017, 11:19 AM
  61St Combat Engineers grumpyjohn 4 5,641 11-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Last Post: mikel
  New Member- 208th EN from Art Bushon SharonC 5 5,660 05-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Jean Jacobson
  251st Combat engineers macfrank 3 5,716 12-09-2012, 10:19 AM