Korean War Armistice Day

Did anyone know it was Korean Armistice day? I did because of my Ronald Reagan calendar. There is a presidential proclamation about it:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office...s-armistice-day

The White House

Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release July 26, 2010

Presidential Proclamation--National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day

NATIONAL KOREAN WAR VETERANS ARMISTICE DAY, 2010

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

Today we celebrate the signing of the Military Armistice Agreement at Panmunjom and we honor our servicemembers who fought and died for freedom and democracy in the Korean War. This year marks the 60th anniversary of the start of the Korean War and the birth of an enduring friendship between the United States and the Republic of Korea that is stronger today than ever before. Our alliance is rooted in shared sacrifice, common values, mutual interest, and respect, and this partnership is vital to peace and stability in Asia and the world.

Since our Nation's founding, the United States has relied on our Armed Forces to ensure our safety and security at home, and to protect lives and liberties around the globe. When Communist armies poured across the 38th parallel, threatening the very survival of South Korea, American troops braved unforgiving conditions and rallied to the young republic's defense. Tens of thousands of our Nation's servicemembers lost their lives, and many more were wounded, declared missing in action, or taken as prisoners of war. The courageous service and ultimate sacrifices of these patriots and our allied combatants safeguarded a free government and vibrant economy in South Korea, forging a bond between our people that stands strong today.

As we commemorate the 60th anniversary of the outbreak of the Korean War and the eventual conclusion of hostilities at Panmunjom, let us raise our flags high to honor the service and valor of our veterans, to reflect on the principles for which they fought, and to reaffirm the unshakeable bond between South Korea and our Nation.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim July 27, 2010, as National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day. I call upon all Americans to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities that honor our distinguished Korean War veterans.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-sixth day of July, in the year of our Lord two thousand ten, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-fifth.

BARACK OBAMA

My calendar says that flags should be flown at half-staff until sunset. Anyone seen this?

Lee and I were watching a special on this, this week. So I actually did know about it.

I am pleased that you took the time to do this. Forever grateful to you and others who post pertinent and interesting information on the wars.

M1

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Oh speaking of the Korean War, Lee and I watched an episode of The History Detective, and it was called

The Korean War Letter

GREAT episode, and of course I broke into tears at the end of the show. A must see for all the history buffs here. Made me think of the many connections we've made through this site and all the history we've weaved together. Ah goosebumps!

If you have a good internet connection, you can actually watch it online. It will be worth it.

:14_2_108:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Korean War Project - Is this Goodbye? 3_7_I_Recon 7 11,423 12-11-2019, 10:22 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  U.S. ARMY ENGINEER UNITS - KOREAN WAR Walt's Daughter 1 26,630 03-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Robersabel
  Navy TV Airs Korean War Film “Floating Fortress” Walt's Daughter 0 4,607 06-25-2010, 07:15 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Two articles on Korean War Engineers Walt's Daughter 0 4,273 06-16-2010, 09:39 AM
  Korean War Cease-fire - July 27, 1953 Walt's Daughter 1 9,820 07-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  The Korean War Begins - This Day in History Walt's Daughter 2 6,957 06-25-2008, 11:17 AM
  Ebay Korean War Seahorse jacket Walt's Daughter 2 7,249 06-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rennog
  Korean War service ribbon 3_7_I_Recon 1 6,133 06-22-2007, 09:58 PM
  Korean War Memorial 3_7_I_Recon 1 6,574 06-02-2007, 09:31 AM
  Jack Reissman - Korean War Engineer Walt's Daughter 23 31,870 09-01-2006, 10:53 PM