Barnacle Bill the Sailor??

This is in reference to the tune on our VI Corps Music site

Dear Marion Chard,

I recently discovered your site the VI Corps Music of WWII. I am currently working on a history project and needed to choose a song that contains historical references. When I heard the version of "Barnacle Bill the Sailor" that is on your site, I knew that it would be perfect for my history project. However, I was wondering if you could tell me who the artists on this recording are. I understand it was adapted from a folk song, but one of the guidelines is stating who the artist(s) is/are. If you could let me know I would really appreciate it.

Thank you so much,

Gracie Sommer

====

I replied:

Dear Gracie:

Thanks for writing and good luck on your project.

Unfortunately, as with many of the tunes on the site, the artists are unknown. Numerous songs were donated to my site and little is known about their origins.

Sometimes listeners will help me identify the singers and songwriters, and as information becomes known, I happily update our list. So as we stand right now, I am unable to give you a definitive answer.

However, I can post your message on my forum, and see if anyone can assist you with your question. If this is all right with you, please let me know.

Regretfully and kindly,

Marion

Dear Ms. Chard,

Thank you so much for replying! I would appreciate it if you could post my message on your forum. If we cannot discover the artist, I can talk with my teacher and hopefully since it is a folk song, still be able to use it.

Thank you for all of your help!

Gracie Sommer

Here ya go. You're wish is my command!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"