Ben Palmer has passed away...

This is very hard for me to write because I can't stop crying. My dear friend Ben Palmer passed away. I just got a note from Ben's granddaughter a couple of minutes ago. I am too shook to say anything right now. :(

Memories of Ben Palmer

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

To whom it may concern,

My name is Colleen Cottrell and I am Ben Palmer's grandaughter. I am very sorry to inform you that Ben Palmer passed away on Saturday April 23rd due to complications that arose after he had his quadruple bypass heart surgery. He will be greatly missed by his family and friends. In his honor, I would love to try to help out the military museum in Texas, and do anything else to promote his book. Please let me know what I can do.

Sincerely,

Colleen Cottrell

Marion J Chard

To Bens familly ,

Now our Eagle found it's nest ,

Snout up , proud and brave , at rest !

Spread his wings to overcome ,

You know me and what I've done ,

Love you all , friends and fams at ease

For now , I finally found

My peace !!

Bless you all !

Reg

I'm sorry that I couldn't really say anything until tonight. I broke into tears several times yesterday and couldn't find the means to say anything until now. It is still difficult, but I can now tell you a few things that I wasn't able to say when it happened.

Ben meant a lot to me and we communicated frequently. I not only treasure all the correspondence that was meant for the Internet, but the personal notes he sent me were and are worth a million. Now more then ever.

I was talking with his granddaughter today and told her that I couldn't believe that we had only known each other for a mere six months. In fact when I looked back at our correspondence, I had to look twice because I thought the dates had to be all wrong. I literally shook my head and said, no, I've had to known him longer than that.

It's funny because I've known many for several years and they remain acquaintances, yet others I've known for mere months and felt that I've known them for a life time. That's how I feel and felt about Ben. Ah, there I go again. I'm getting all teary-eyed. Sigh! I guess I just want to say that I loved him in the short time that I knew him and that he touched my life more than I can say. I miss you buddy and wish we had more time together. Thank you for all you wonderful letters and for sharing so much with me on the net and in private. It was a pleasure to know you and you made a difference in my life.

God bless you and keep you and I know you are with great company including my dad. :pdt34::heartpump:

Marion J Chard

Marion ,

The company is silently getting together again .

Finding peace , the peace they struggled for .

now it's up to us to continue what they started .

Yes, my friend, they are at peace now and it's up to us to preserve their memories for all the present and future generations. We salute you Ben Palmer! :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Oh my God! I am SO SORRY to hear about Mr. Palmer's passing....We had a great email correspondence going about his life, war time career and his book. He was a man, though never met, you feel he appreciated the interest and would do all he could to answer any questions you might have.

Reading his book certainly gives you the idea that you know him a little. Geez, I think I know him better than some of my own uncles!!!

What a sad tiding, Marion. Thanks for sharing this with us. This is the hardest part of our passion; to face the fact that these men do not have eternal life. None of us do, but as we hold all these men very dear, it is even more harder to deal with their passing. I always have a hard time, just like right now. I know it is part of life, but I am not happy with it.

SO sorry to see them go. He will rest in peace and in the knowledge that people care what they did 60 years ago.

I couldn't have said it any better Stevin and yes, I also feel that I knew him better than some of my own relatives. I knew that you could certainly appreciate this because you have had the honor of reading his book and corresponding with him.

His granddaughter and I have been writing to each other all week and I am grateful for that, but man has it ever been hard to do. I can't make it through a letter (or this) without crying again. She and I are going to keep in touch and I told her I would help her contact people that Ben and I had in common.

She told me that she was so happy that I wanted to continue corresponding with the family. I told her that I was grateful for the same.

Well you and I can have a toast to Ben. I am glad that we got to know him. :drinkin:

Marion J Chard

Marion I am so sorry for the loss of your dear friend. I dont think it gets any easier. Please pass on my sympathies to his family. His Granddaughter sounds like a wonderful person wanting to make sure isnt forgotten. and to want to help the museum is such a wonderful way of sharing him and all he fought for so long ago. Now I will go read and get to know him...Thank you

Cindy

Dear Cindy:

No it does not get any easier. As I sat at the 101st luncheon the other day, I wondered why at times I felt so melancholy. But as I sat there and looked around the only thing I could think of... You know where I'm going with this. :( I had to force myself not to think that way. Hey Mare, have a good time and concentrate on the now.

I hope you've had time to read about Ben. Anyone that does has to take a shining to him. He has touched a lot of people including yours truly. :heartpump:

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts and Prayers for John Fallon - his wife passed away Walt's Daughter 2 3,487 10-29-2014, 11:01 PM
Last Post: mgjohnson
  Larry, dear forum member "SonofMp" has passed away Walt's Daughter 13 11,332 02-08-2014, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Farewell Ronald Palmer - 116th Engineer Walt's Daughter 2 3,760 11-18-2012, 07:28 AM
  Major Dick Winters passed away Frank Gubbels 8 8,769 01-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  36th Engineer - Walter Bucci - passed away Walt's Daughter 0 2,541 11-08-2006, 02:18 PM
  Bill Butler has passed on - 48th CE Walt's Daughter 1 117,957 05-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Irishmaam