60-something years later - putting in touch

Imagine my surprise when I saw the following Guest Book entry this morning:

" Scraping off mud from our boots - Carentan, France - 1944....I was pleased to see my mother in that picture. Her name was Emilie Jane Proctor and was from Spokane, WA, trained at Sacred Heart Hospital. I am collecting stories and pictures for a memorial scrapbook in her honor." Marlis Wilson

So I quickly jotted off a note to both Marlis and Gretchen, and introduced them to each other. What a thrill to be able to do this 60-something years later. Can't wait to hear what transpires between them.

Here is the page she is referring to:

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/GretchenHovis.htm

Great way to start my morning!

:armata_PDT_37:

post-2-1264349415_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   GretchenHovis25.JPG (Size: 102.78 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

What a great pic and story. Reminds me of all the talk of equal opportunities for women these days - the two gals look very equal to me!!

Colin.

Ah, I was hoping someone would notice this entry. Thanks Colin.

Gretchen is still a formidable and outgoing woman, even after all these years. I hope she and her fellow nurses will continue to inspire young women today.

Marion J Chard

And...

Dear Marion,

I wrote to Gretchen, thank you so much for your help. This is what I wrote her....

Dear Gretchen,

I received an email from Marion Chard and I assume you received it also. I can't tell you how much your writings have helped me in piecing together the military life of my mom, Emilie Jane Proctor. I have a letter written by Robert F. Foster, M.D., Historian that he read at the Annual Reunion of the Fiftieth Hospital in Fort Lawton WA on May 7, 1965 that help a lot but your article was much more in depth and personal and gave me a much better idea of what it was like. I was amazed at the trials all you nurses went through, that generation was definitely made of more sterner stuff then of the women of today, especially with the military being so male oriented. Mom didn't have an easy life after the military but she was always talking about the life she lead back then and the very strong bond that was made between you nurses.

I have also been in contact with several people through the web page below. It is a forum regarding the 50th General Hospital and it will probably put you in contact with others that you knew or their children.

Marlis Wilson

http://genforum.genealogy.com/usarmy/messages/593.html

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Santa Rosa woman helps honor bomber crew 70 years later Walt's Daughter 0 2,534 11-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  60 years later... Phillip Broncheau Walt's Daughter 3 4,740 08-26-2006, 09:26 AM
  61 years ago today twobisquit 1 2,712 05-06-2006, 10:21 PM