Al Crocker - 34th Inf Div - newspaper clipping

...Lawrence Oelfke was a part of the 34th division, 135th regiment. This is an article my co-worker found and thought Rocky would be interested in it... Dan Donnelly

This is what the article says:

================

Al Corcker, St. Paul Pioneer Press War Correspondent writes a letter from an advanced post in Italy in which he has the following to say in regard to Cp Lawrence Oelfke a Bell Plain soldier who during the Tunisia campaign had been reported injured in action: "Corporal Lawrence Oelfke, son of Mr. and Mrs. Herman Oelfke of Belle Plain, like all of the other youngsters you meet, assured me that there was nothing unusual during his military experience during the past year of tough fighting. but his pals told me that he was wounded in the leg by a machine gun slug in Africa and spent three months in the hospital. And they later told me that near Ailano he was walking forward during the fighting armed with nthing but his walkie talkie radio. A Jerry appeared from nowhere and Oelfke pointed his stubby radio aerial at him charged forward and demanded surrender. Jerry threw up his hands, the corporal grabbed his rifle and pistol and sent him to the rear while he proceeded forward. The boys think he should have a Silver Star with his Purple Heart.

post-2-1264081382_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   newpaper_article.jpg (Size: 138.37 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

This is what the article says:

================

Al Corcker, St. Paul Pioneer Press War Correspondent writes a letter from an advanced post in Italy in which he has the following to say in regard to Cp Lawrence Oelfke a Bell Plain soldier who during the Tunisia campaign had been reported injured in action: "Corporal Lawrence Oelfke, son of Mr. and Mrs. Herman Oelfke of Belle Plain, like all of the other youngsters you meet, assured me that there was nothing unusual during his military experience during the past year of tough fighting. but his pals told me that he was wounded in the leg by a machine gun slug in Africa and spent three months in the hospital. And they later told me that near Ailano he was walking forward during the fighting armed with nthing but his walkie talkie radio. A Jerry appeared from nowhere and Oelfke pointed his stubby radio aerial at him charged forward and demanded surrender. Jerry threw up his hands, the corporal grabbed his rifle and pistol and sent him to the rear while he proceeded forward. The boys think he should have a Silver Star with his Purple Heart.

I tried to write Dan Donnelly but the link would not let me. I E/M this to some of the fellows in the

34th. Including Watson Jones, he doesn't know the name. One of the fellows works at the GOLD STAR

MUSEUM,(34th ID), It has a roster of the three,(3), Regts. See what happens.

Took out my scrap book, (poem 0n first page). reread it, has my name instead of Bob, then I

took the photo of Elizabeth,quess what I did next. Rocky

First two guesses didn't count. I know what happened next...

I just sent you Dan's email addy.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  34th Inf Div 135th Inf Reg - Burials in Europe Walt's Daughter 3 5,863 06-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Rocky featured in Italian Newspaper Walt's Daughter 12 12,300 02-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  Photo of 34th Monument - Italy - 2010 Walt's Daughter 0 3,349 08-24-2010, 09:01 AM
  34th Division sixgun 2 4,732 02-26-2010, 04:41 PM
  Looking for 34th Infantry veterans Walt's Daughter 4 6,681 02-04-2010, 11:31 AM
  The 34th Infantry Division 133RD Regiment sixgun 11 13,098 11-09-2008, 08:01 PM
  34th Inf photos Walt's Daughter 5 7,354 01-10-2008, 10:24 PM
  Working Bibliography of the 34th Inf Div Walt's Daughter 0 2,760 09-06-2006, 04:46 PM