The passing of Larry Babine - 36th Combat Eng

This one is particularly hard on my heart. There are certain people you meet, and you take an immediate liking to them, and Larry was certainly one of those men. I had the pleasure of meeting him in person too.

I received this a few days ago, but it was very upsetting and I have to admit I put it on the back-burner for a few days.

I just sent a response to his dear daughter, and wanted to share this with all of you.

One of his photos is featured in the opening of my documentary. That's all I want to say right now for it's very hard for me to type this...

============

I know these messages are coming all too often. My dad, Laurence Babine, passed away yesterday, December 23rd. He had a major stroke on 12/9 and planned on several weeks of rehab at the same nursing home where my mother is. With an ironic twist of life, after being apart for the past year, they had a week together as roommates. He struggled these last 2 weeks; as my husband said, he sure was rugged.

Shirley Babine Pitman

post-2-1262005445_thumb.jpg

post-2-1262005455_thumb.jpg

post-2-1262005540_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Larry_Babine_36th_Eng_93rd_Birthday_Photo_Oct_2007.jpg (Size: 51.8 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Larry_Babine_36th_Eng_April_1945_Vicinity_Ulm_Germany.jpg (Size: 56.73 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Larry_Babine_Road_to_Velletri.jpg (Size: 20.89 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

His daughter Shirley, just sent this to me. This is his obit as it will appear in the newspaper:

==============================================================

Anderson-Bryant Funeral Home

4 Common St.

Stoneham, MA 02180

781-438-0135, Fax: 781-438-0316

Obituary for Reading Chronicle and Stoneham Independent

FLAG-Laurence J. Babine, age 95, of Francestown, NH, formerly of Stoneham died December 23, 2009, following a brief illness at the Good Shepherd Rehabilitation and Nursing Center in Jaffrey, NH. He was the husband of Ann (Trowbridge) Babine and the late Dorothy (Crowell) Babine. Born and raised in Reading, MA; he was the son of the late Louis and Mary (Muse) Babine.

Larry graduated from Reading High School in the class of 1932. He worked in the printing department of the local town newspapers, the Reading Chronicle, the Stoneham Independent and the Woburn Times.

Mr. Babine served in the 36th Regiment of Army Combat Engineers during WWII. He received five battle stars for his participation in the invasion of southern France, the Anzio Beachhead in Italy and the Battle of the Bulge and an arrowhead for D-Day. He was a member of the Stoneham American Legion Post 113.

Mr. Babine operated his own printing business in Stoneham and Reading. After retiring in 1978, he enrolled in a Clinical Pastoral Education program under the direction of the Andover Newton Theological School at Tewksbury Hospital. He served as a hospital chaplain at Brigham & Women’s Hospital and at New England Memorial Hospital for eleven years.

As an amateur photographer, Mr. Babine spent many enjoyable hours in the development of new methods and processes in color printing and engraving. He believed in sharing his knowledge with other photographers and belonged to the Wakefield Camera Club, the Boston Camera Club and the Photographic Society of America.

He was a devout member of the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in Woburn and the Advent Lutheran Church in Rindge, NH.

He was the father of Nancy Held of San Rafael, CA, Shirley Pitman of Francestown, NH and the late Barbara Jean Babine and Bette Babine, and brother of Margaret O’Brien and Dorothy Richards both of Reading. He is also survived by eight grandchildren, Heidi Beck of Dorcester, Robin Beck Miller of Somerville, Gabrielle Weiss of Medford, Bette Gioffre of Nashua, NH, Laura Elliott of Milford, NH, Kelly Pitman of Francestown, NH, Dave Held of Monterey, CA, Jessica Held of Huntington, Beach, CA and five great grandchildren, Brianna Elliott of Milford, NH, Denise Gioffre of Nashua, NH, Penelope Gioffre of Nashua, NH, Cybele Miller of Somerville and Jacob Miller of Somerville.

Funeral service with military honors will be held Tuesday at 10AM in the Anderson-Bryant Funeral Home, 4 Common St., Stoneham; Deacon Diane Young officiating. Visiting hours are Monday, 2-4 and 7-9 PM. Following cremation, burial will be Wednesday at 1 PM in Forest Glen Cemetery, Reading.

Marion J Chard

My deepest condolences his family and friends

May he rest in Peace.

Vee

Our deepest condolences as well.

Bianca & Erwin.

My heart goes out to you.. There is never a time when a loss is not difficult, but I know what it means to lose a loved one at this time of year, when there is so often pressure to "be happy." May God give you strength and comfort during this time.

Sincerely,

Jim Nelson

Everytime I see one of these (too many, as of late) I am reminded of my grandfather and his passing a few years back. It makes me very sad. Larry (and that is a great among the unpublished photos of the war) will be in my thoughts and prayers as all WWII vets are.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

I keep saying damn, damn, damn. Whew, this is really getting me down. I keep trying to put it on the back-burner, but...

I know so many of you can relate to how I am feeling, and...

And yes, that is one of my very favorite photos. I am so glad it is included in the documentary, so everyone will be able to see it.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell Tony Stefanelli - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 4 7,171 08-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  The passing of Carl Furtado - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 16 16,120 12-08-2016, 05:34 PM
  The passing of Armonde Casagrande - 343rd Engineer Walt's Daughter 1 3,898 05-16-2016, 02:51 PM
  Passing of PFC Bert W. Zimmerman, 1264 ECB bwz1920 6 7,077 04-18-2016, 09:40 PM
  The passing of Joseph Walter Miller - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,350 11-21-2014, 01:43 PM
  The passing of Howard Huebner - 82nd Airborne Div Walt's Daughter 1 3,125 11-19-2014, 03:13 PM
  Farewell Charlie Kassebohm - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 11 10,037 10-30-2014, 08:13 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Larry, dear forum member "SonofMp" has passed away Walt's Daughter 13 11,501 02-08-2014, 01:51 PM
  Farewell Iradell (Arnold) Galyen - 36th Combat Engineer colinhotham 6 6,747 01-14-2014, 04:31 PM
  Farewell - Manuel Ramos - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 2 3,833 10-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Last Post: CaptO