"Bill on the Hill" on Remagne

Here is some correspondence from Bill on the Hill, to a buddy and then to me. His memories of Remagne:

Many thanx, John, for your recent message regarding Remagne and your upcoming visit to Luxembourg. I would really love to be in Remagne this coming weekend, but I think that I made the right decision not to go.

I just received an e-mail from my son with all of the back and forth messages between my son (Mark), Pascal and Madame Marianne, the Remagne school teacher. They have a really nice schedule for my son's visit (my son, not my nephew).

Included in the program is a visit on Friday to the school in Remagne. Pascal, it appears, will be doing some chaufffering in Libramont and Remagne. There is a Saturday luncheon with M/M Robert & Yvette Willems. We all met in Dec. 2004 in Bastogne. Yvette was 9 or 10 years old when we were there back in 1994. Yvette and I communicate on a regular basis by Email. She also helped put some of this program together for Mark and his friends.

I may have told you my one and only Patton story, but I'll repeat it for what it's worth.

On 2 January, Patton came into our bivouac area as a passenger on the front seat of an open jeep...no windshield, just a wire cutter welded to the bumper. He did not get out of the jeep. He had his hands in the pockets of his tanker jacket. We could see the ivory handled pistol on his right side as we stood about 20 to 25 yards from him.

Someone got our CO up to see Patton. They talked for about 10 minutes, and that was it. I told my fox hole buddy, "I feel sorry for that old man." He was 59 at the time.

When Patton wrote his memoirs he said, "On 2 January, I visited troops of the 87th Infantry Division. It was 6 degrees below zero, and I felt sorry for the troops."

Y'all have a good one. Ole Bill on the Hill

Hi, Marion...I sent you a copy of a message that I sent to John McAuliffe. You may have wondered what that was all about. Here is the background:

My squad of combat engineers was in Remagne during the Bulge. Remagne is a small village about 8 km from Bastogne. When we got into Remagne I asked a young lady, in French, if she had room for 13 men, in a small house where she lived with her aged father. She gave us a small room that had a pot belly stove. We could hardly all get in there at the same time. We were there mostly in the day time since we spent most nites, or part thereof, out working (the usual engineer stuff, such as removing road blocks and a variety of other activities).

I'm not sure how long we "headquartered" at Remagne, but it was over a week.

After the War, I sent the young lady, Raymonda, and her father, several "Care Packages."

In 1962, I went to visit Raymonda and, at that time, her husband (who had been a PW in Austria for five years). At that time I met her sister-in-law who was married to Raymonda's brother (who also was a PW in Dortmund, Germany for five Years). I have visited Raymonda and her sister-in-law (Nicole) several times over the years, eventually getting to know three generations of the families. Nicole was 9 years old when we were in Remagne during the War. The two husbands are now deceased.

In December of 2004, they had a party for my son and myself in Libramont. Libramont is a city not far from Remagne. My son, who turned 60 a couple of weeks ago, speaks fluent French, and now lives in the Flemish part of Belgium (and is studying Dutch!).

The Village of Remagne is having its first celebration of the American participation in that Battle of the Bulge next week end. They have, to quote them, planned a "Big Celebration." They invited me to be their guest of honor. Since (with my broken back and inabiliity to sleep in a bed) I decided not to make the trip, so they invited my son to represent me and the 87th Infantry Division. I guess that's all the dirt that's fit to squirt!

Although I haven't heard anything, I expect that there will be some remembrance activities in Bastogne next week. John McAuliffe will not be going this time, but he plans to go to Luxembourg in June or July.

As a computer illiterate, I am hoping to learn something about Twitter and Facebook before too many moons pass. Wish me luck.

Here's wishing you and yours all the best and continued good luck and success with your Internet program(s);

--Bill on the Hill

P.S. I have lost my Spell Check, and my proofreading leaves a lot to desired!

Marion's note: Bill, my spell-check couldn't find anything wrong - Go to the head of your class!!!

:armata_PDT_37:

Hi again, Marion. I left out one item in my note about Remagne. After the 2004 activities in Bastogne, my son and I visited Remagne. But since it was on a Sunday, and some locals from other places in Belgium were our hosts, we didn't get to meet anyone in Remagne, just went to the house where we stayed during the War. Raymonda, Nicole and their husbands had both long since moved away. And no one was a home in the house.

During our 10-day stay over there five years ago, a journalist and his photographer wife followed us around for four days and wrote two features for the French language newspaper in that part of Belgium. As a result, Madame Marianne and her young students at the local school "adopted" me. You can't believe some of the nice things they have sent to me, including birthday and holiday greetings each year. About all that I have sent them is a few American flags (some of which will be used next weekend at the celebration). My son, Mark, will meet the teacher and students at the school next Friday in Remagne. At least he will be able to speak to them without a translator.

As an aside, each year on November 10, I speak to three sixth grade classes at the Tehachapi Middle School, giving them the history and meaning of Veterans Day. Tehachapi is roughly 15 miles from our log home out here in the boonies, at the end of everything!

--Bill Jasper

The next letter is from Bill's son. Happy to be able share all this with my readers!!

Subject: 65th Remagne, Belgium

cc "Lance Jasper" , "Lee Anne Jasper"

Date: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 10:43 AM,

Hi, Dad...

Just got back to Brugge. Great time over the weekend in Remagne and Libramont. I stayed with Robert and Yvette Williems, who organized a wonderful experience. Everyone was nice, and I am passing along greetings from all, including Marianne and her husband Pierre, and the Mayor of the greater commune. There were 2 dedications today in Remagne specifically for the 87th division. The mayor and I unveiled one on a communal building in town center with the "troops" there along with other dignitaries; afterward we followed the tanks and other Army vehicles to a large stone monument with another plaque. Fortunately we were in a large heated bus. The mayor again spoke and introduced me. Together we put flowers at the foot of the monument (to the 87th), which which included the text of the letter from General Patton, praising the Division. I was interviewed three times for TV and did it all in French. Indeed almost no one spoke English. There is much more to tell and many photos will be forwarded to us, but I am too tired to continue. Last point, I was affectionately know as "the son of Bill". You and I were celebrated. I was introduced in the ceremonies as the representative for the American Army entirely, also! I was the only American present, although the day before at the reenactment of the battle in Remagne I met two veterans from the 101st, but did not see them again. I have their info, and others.

As I said to many people there, this was "an incredible experience." Much like the one we had five years ago, except this time I was the celebrity; picture on the front page of the paper with Marianne's school children from the day before, on Sat. Soon the dedication ceremonies from today will be on TV and accessible on the net, at www.tvlux.be

Off now to get a bite to eat. I will write more......

Later, Mark

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pizzano's Hill (Italy) Enrico 2 4,713 06-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Last Post: Enrico
  The battle on Lanzerath Hill, December 1944. sixgun 0 3,539 08-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Last Post: sixgun
  Interview with Bill and Babe Walt's Daughter 3 4,992 10-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Last Post: rennog