American cemeteries overseas

Thank you for the additional information Vee. I completely forgot to add that <_<

At your service Sir !! :)

Vee ;)

:D :D :D

I know of Vee's commitment to the graves of US soldiers killed in WW2. On the basis of what she says above and her photo, I think this is another book to be reserved from my local library. WW2 cemeterys are an area that have been a research interest for me over the last 7 years as some here will have noted.

Colin.

Colin.

This is a book only about the American cemetery in Margraten, Holland.

Thank you Frank, but the story looks interesting. It will also be good to see how good my local library are at locating it!!

Colin.

It IS really interesting but I just wanted to tell you that it's about Margraten only. It is a must have if you want to know how they buried the men. You will be surprised and maybe shocked. That's all I wanna say for now.

Frank

And a new book is (coming) out:

From farmland to soldiers cemetery

Eyewitness accounts of the construction of the American cemetery in Margraten.

Adr. Heinen Uitgevers, ‘s-Hertogenbosch, commissioned by Stichting(*) Akkers van Margraten.

ISBN 9789086801510

Price € 19,95

*(stichting=foundation)

I have not read this book yet but I plan to. I have read a similar book about this cemetery called "The Margraten Boys" by Peter Schrijvers.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+margraten+boys

It is a great book, really enjoyed reading it, highly recommend it to anyone. It covers the history of the cemetery and the grave adoption program from the beginning until present. Stories of many of the soldiers buried there are recounted. The stories of the grave adopters making contact and establishing relationships with relatives of the fallen soldiers are especially touching. You really have to take your hat off to the Dutch for the care and dedication they have shown in honoring these heroes.

Randy

Here, here! I get letters all the time from loving and caring souls who reach out to me regarding our soldiers. They are so many wonderful people who dedicate their lives to our "boys". Many are generational and take over the care of these graves through successive family members. Very touching.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I have not read this book yet but I plan to. I have read a similar book about this cemetery called "The Margraten Boys" by Peter Schrijvers.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+margraten+boys

It is a great book, really enjoyed reading it, highly recommend it to anyone. It covers the history of the cemetery and the grave adoption program from the beginning until present. Stories of many of the soldiers buried there are recounted. The stories of the grave adopters making contact and establishing relationships with relatives of the fallen soldiers are especially touching. You really have to take your hat off to the Dutch for the care and dedication they have shown in honoring these heroes.

Randy

Randy, this book is outstanding as well. There is also a book called Crosses in the wind. It is written by Lt. Col. Shomon who was in charge of the burials.

Frank

Thanks for the tip Frank, I will check it out.

Randy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Divisions Documentation Walt's Daughter 7 9,277 06-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  American troops Scharding, Austria Walt's Daughter 3 5,038 01-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  An American RAF Fighter Ace James Pickering 1 209,188 03-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Last Post: chucktoo1926