1264th Engineer Combat Battalion

Sam, my name is Smitty. I've been in Orlando FL almost three years, but I was in Southwest Missouri (Joplin) nearly all of my 68 years. I was with Joplin White Trucks, later known as Joplin Freightliner Sales for nearly 40 years as a sales-engineer for custom-built heavy-duty trucks (18 wheelers) and had a personal friend who represented Springfield Brake Co. for many years, Rex Pierce (92 years old), who is mentioned in the Forum as a nearby neighbor [within 6 blocks] of "Sam" who served in the 1264th Engineer Combat Battalion:

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/eng...?showtopic=5939

Rex Pierce was a terrific marksman and shooting exhibitionist who I very much admired, and I'd like to be able to contact "Sam" about getting me a way to contact my old friend, Rex Pierce. I was active as a gun safety trainer for youth in the Jaycees back the 1960s and 70s and coached the first International BB Gun Champions at the Grand American Trapshooting Grounds in Vandalia OH in 1966. I have two sons who were each on ensuing championship teams in 1973, 1975, and 1976. Joplin hosted the world championship matches in 1979.

Can you help me get in touch with Rex Pierce, please? My email address (removed for privacy) and my Joplin AT&T Cell Phone is 417-793-6771. Thanks.

Hi Smitty:

Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining. One thing I need to express, as I have with others; never post your email address out in the open. It invites spammers and hackers and I'm sure you do not want that. Just trying to protect you, so I am going to remove your email from the post.

You can reach any of the forum members by simply clicking on their UNDERLINED Usernames. This is the safest way to communicate, as members can send via email or personal messenger. So later today, send a message to Sam and let us know what transpires.

Best of luck to you. I hope you can be re-united with your neighbor.

Marion

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion, thanks for what must be an enormous task in memory of your father's service.

In my efforts back in November to get a response from one who had written about Rex Pierce (92) in Springfield MO, I've never heard a word or seen a reply posted. Do you have a way of emailing that neighbor of Mr. Pierce, whose father served with him, and see if he can give you a way to contact Mr. Pierce or him?

Thanks,

Smitty

My pleasure.

I just left him a message. Now we will wait and see...

M1

Marion J Chard

Thanks, M1

I hope we do hear from Mr. Pierce or his neighbor Sam. I'd like very much to communicate with my old and dear friend.

Smitty

Via email....

March 2011

Yea, I got it fixed. And better yet, M1, I heard from Sam Wilson on the telephone, and I tried to call Rex Pierce, but no answer. Later, about 5 pm here, he phoned me and called me by my first name which I didn't even know he knew. He remembered it from all those years ago. He sounds so young and vibrant at 92. His voice is strong and he's sharp as a tack. He had to go shoot pool or something, so we're going to talk more later. Thank you so much. He says the SPRINGFIELD NEWS-LEADER newspaper had a big write-up recently about his trick shooting and marksmanship skills. I can't wait to find it and read it.

I so appreciate what you do, which has enabled me to talk to an old friend I haven't seen in maybe 40 years, that I've known since I was under 20 years old.

Thanks again and be blessed,

Floyd Smith (Smitty) "Plain Talker"

Marion J Chard

My Dad, William Rastall, was a member of Company C, 1264th CEB. He joined the BN at Camp Bowie TX in 1944 and went to England, France and Germany with the BN. Any one know where I could obtain a copy of the unit history?

There is a copy at the Eisenhower Library in Abiline, KS. There will be a copy at the National Archives in College Park, MD. or you can by the book at Abebooks, price listed is $50.

http://www.abebooks....n/4990021543/bd

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It's great that you will be able to obtain a copy of the unit history. A real treasure. Let us know when you get it.

Marion J Chard

I help a man that was in the 1264th he was in B company turned 90 this year is still in pretty good health mind an body he would love to hear from those men or family that are still with us.His name is Lloyd Branstine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  160th Engineer Combat Battalion WW II ( new member) Joe Miga 119 139,679 01-27-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: glen blasingim
  Hello Everyone 257th Combat Engineer rvermar 2 3,517 09-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: BRosen21
  292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) arden 617 533,255 05-15-2023, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Sir Gator
  1264th Combat Engineers route through Europe Tom V 2 4,309 07-24-2019, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  283rd Engineer Combat Battalion (Grandson) 283rdCombatEngineers 3 5,101 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM
  Great Grandson of WWII Combat Engineer Brendan 1 3,172 10-23-2018, 01:07 PM
  Daughter of an Engineer William (nmi) Carr in the 291st Co B Combat Engineers Hello Everone! blueshockeynut 34 27,429 07-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Curlock
  Robert E Waters 291st Combat Engineer Bn golfersa 2 4,093 06-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Last Post: golfersa
  Hello All. Grandson of 292nd Combat Engineer here, Introducing myself. Joel 18 17,443 06-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Last Post: buk2112
  405th Engineer Water Supply Battalion Lloyd 2 8 15,868 06-17-2015, 03:39 PM