What happened to the Anzio Beachhead Assoc?

Ya, you may be right about that. Maybe I'll give him a call this weekend. He may appreciate the call too, if he's in "the dark"!

M1

COMES TO MIND.--ABOUT ANZIO--THERE WERE A LOT

IN THE DARK THEN, COMBAT DOGFACES AND ------

-----------COMBAT ENGINEERS ----!!!!!!!!!!

All is well! Received a phone call from president John Boller, who apologized for the non-delivery of package. The bottom line is; they will make good on the "goods" and get it straightened out.

John assured me the association is alive and kicking and won't go under anytime in the foreseeable future. That was great to hear.

They are revamping their website and it will be back better than ever. Also great to hear!

Thank you John for the personal call and reassurances.

Marion

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

All is well! Received a phone call from president John Boller, who apologized for the non-delivery of package. The bottom line is; they will make good on the "goods" and get it straightened out.

John assured me the association is alive and kicking and won't go under anytime in the foreseeable future. That was great to hear.

They are revamping their website and it will be back better than ever. Also great to hear!

Thank you John for the personal call and reassurances.

Marion

Glad everything got straightened out. HOOORAAAY!!!!!

THEY'RE BACK and better than ever. Whole new look and feel. Nicely done!!!

www.anziobeachheadveterans.com

Check out the photo gallery, you will recognize a few people. We need to send in some of ours too.

Marion J Chard

THEY'RE BACK and better than ever. Whole new look and feel. Nicely done!!!

www.anziobeachheadveterans.com

Check out the photo gallery, you will recognize a few people. We need to send in some of ours too.

Well according to the writeup on this link it doesn't say anything about the 34th at anzio. Oh well

win some lose some.

Well according to the writeup on this link it doesn't say anything about the 34th at anzio. Oh well

win some lose some.

You get no respect!!

5RodneyDangerfield.jpg

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

You get no respect!!

5RodneyDangerfield.jpg

Thas' fer sure, fer sure !!!

Hey rocky, I just found the following on the front page:

The VI Corps spent this time reorganizing and regrouping as well. The British 56th Division was relieved by the British 5th Division while Commando, Ranger, and parachute units were sent to England to begin preparations for OVERLORD. The U.S. 34th Infantry Division took up positions before Cisterna on 28 March, replacing the 3d Division, which had seen sixty-seven days of continuous front-line action and now reverted to corps reserve. Over 14,000 replacements arrived to fill other depleted Allied units, bringing VI Corps to its full combat strength of 90,000 men in six divisions. In preparation for its role in the spring offensive, VI Corps received Combat Command B (CCB) of the U.S. 1st Armored Division, giving the beachhead forces a complete armored division.

and then later:

On the same day that the Fifth Army front merged with the Anzio beachhead, General Clark also split Truscott's forces into two parts, sending the 3d Division, the 1st Special Service Force, and elements of the 1st Armored Division toward Valmontone. This thrust, however, proved insufficient, and most of the Tenth Army escaped north to fight again. In the meantime the 45th and 34th Infantry Divisions, along with the rest of the Fifth Army, joined in the hot pursuit of German forces falling back on Rome, a scarce thirty miles distant. Americans liberated the Italian capital on 4 June 1944.

So there you have it, you have been remembered! I will never argue against the fact that the Med. was forgotten after the Normandy invasion and certainly is now. The headlines about the capture of Rome were barely dry when the allies laned in France two days later. After that, no one seemed to care much except those with loved ones in the area. Between the Med and the China, India, Burma Theater, there are a lot of tough men whose efforts have gone unheralded. Unfortunately, as more time passes from WWII, less and less is remembered about even the more famous events during that war. Rest assured that my kids will know, and along with anyone else with whom I have any influence!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien
There are not only a few references on the main page, but their current photo gallery has images of the 34th. They did not forget them.
Marion J Chard

Hey rocky, I just found the following on the front page:

The VI Corps spent this time reorganizing and regrouping as well. The British 56th Division was relieved by the British 5th Division while Commando, Ranger, and parachute units were sent to England to begin preparations for OVERLORD. The U.S. 34th Infantry Division took up positions before Cisterna on 28 March, replacing the 3d Division, which had seen sixty-seven days of continuous front-line action and now reverted to corps reserve. Over 14,000 replacements arrived to fill other depleted Allied units, bringing VI Corps to its full combat strength of 90,000 men in six divisions. In preparation for its role in the spring offensive, VI Corps received Combat Command B (CCB) of the U.S. 1st Armored Division, giving the beachhead forces a complete armored division.

and then later:

On the same day that the Fifth Army front merged with the Anzio beachhead, General Clark also split Truscott's forces into two parts, sending the 3d Division, the 1st Special Service Force, and elements of the 1st Armored Division toward Valmontone. This thrust, however, proved insufficient, and most of the Tenth Army escaped north to fight again. In the meantime the 45th and 34th Infantry Divisions, along with the rest of the Fifth Army, joined in the hot pursuit of German forces falling back on Rome, a scarce thirty miles distant. Americans liberated the Italian capital on 4 June 1944.

So there you have it, you have been remembered! I will never argue against the fact that the Med. was forgotten after the Normandy invasion and certainly is now. The headlines about the capture of Rome were barely dry when the allies laned in France two days later. After that, no one seemed to care much except those with loved ones in the area. Between the Med and the China, India, Burma Theater, there are a lot of tough men whose efforts have gone unheralded. Unfortunately, as more time passes from WWII, less and less is remembered about even the more famous events during that war. Rest assured that my kids will know, and along with anyone else with whom I have any influence!

THE MARINES HAVE STRUCK AGAIN !!! Thank you Capt. I love the videos that Vee sent.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WWII veteran recalls fighting at Cassino, Anzio Walt's Daughter 2 5,005 06-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  25 May 1944 - Anzio beachhead linkup Walt's Daughter 1 4,476 05-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  Maps of Anzio by Hugh Ames - 504th PIR Walt's Daughter 3 6,676 04-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  Anzio Beachhead Foxhole Radios arve 0 3,255 03-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Last Post: arve
  Anniversary of Anzio - Jan 22, 1944 Walt's Daughter 5 6,856 01-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Last Post: 206thmpco
  6TH CORPS MP PHOTO ANZIO arve 2 4,726 01-17-2008, 06:44 PM
  Anzio Memorial Walt's Daughter 5 7,010 09-17-2006, 06:20 PM
  Joining the Anzio Beachhead Veterans Walt's Daughter 13 13,164 08-13-2006, 12:35 PM
  Submitting photos to Anzio Museum Walt's Daughter 0 3,134 05-16-2006, 08:48 AM
  Anzio Vets Remember Walt's Daughter 0 3,539 02-11-2006, 02:00 PM