Death of Claude William Gregory

I had the honor of meeting and getting to know Claude Gregory. I shall miss you at this year's reunion. Rest in peace, my friend. :mellow:

:14_1_107v:

=============

The following was sent to me this morning by John Fallon. He received this email from the son of Claude Gregory. John's reply follows:

-------------------------

Subject: Death of Claude William Gregory, Jr. 2nd Lieutenant 36th Combat Engineers (ret.)

Dear John:

I regret to inform you that my father, Claude William Gregory Jr., passed away at 6:54 am on Sunday, July 26, 2009 at the Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care in Towson , Md. He was 86 and had been briefly ill with lung cancer. He was buried with military honors and a live bugler from Bugles Across America at Lorraine Park Cemetery in Baltimore , MD on Friday, July 31 at 11 am. He is buried next to his wife, Mildred, and with his parents. I also buried him with a 36th Combat Engineering red cap and presented the one he wore all the time to my son to preserve for my grand son and to pass through the generations to come. He had about 6 of them!

My father always told me about the reunions in Lebanon , PA. I know he attended his last one just last September and he looked forward to it every year. I know he will be missed and I know he must have had regrets that he would not be able to make it this year during his illness. I know my wife and I will miss him terribly as will his grand children. He led a good life though and he was blessed by being able to meet with his veteran friends well into his eighties.

He never talked too much about the war, but in his later years he did reveal more about the campaigns in North Africa , Sicily and the Italian mainland. He did tell me more about Salerno and Anzio in recent months and did share more with me and his grand children recently about his wounding at Anzio. I have been reading Rick Atkinson's book The Day of Battle in his honor and intend also to read An Army at Dawn. There was a nice quote from the book that I used at his brief graveside funeral service “…AND IT SOON BECAME EVIDENT THAT ITALY WOULD BE A BATTLE OF ENGINEERS….” .

I hope this message will find you well. Please extend my thanks and salutations to all of those veterans who will be in Lebanon this year. Please let them know that my father treasured their company and their friendship and that he wore the Regimental cap with pride. When we took him to see the World War II Memorial on the national mall he wore his cap. Many people stopped him and had his picture taken with their children so these children would know what you all accomplished during World War II.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at (removed for privacy)

My wife and I have a house in Cape May , NJ . I had been trying to get Dad to make another trip to Cape May and contact you so we could all have dinner some time. We just never made it. Perhaps my wife and I can still do that with you some time in his memory. I will also send you a copy of this note by regular mail.

Best wishes,

Eric Gregory

==============

I am deeply sorry to hear about you dad's death. He was a regular attendant at our annual reunions an added much to them. You mentioned Atkinson's book about Anzio but there are better ones. In fact I wrote to Atkinson protesting the inaccurate maps which did not show our regiment in position, the book by Carlos D' Este is far superior and he gives the 36th its due.

I don't know if your dad had any records of the Regiment but if you would like to get more information about any of the campaigns I will be glad to make copies and send them to you. We will toast him and pray for him next month in Lebanon and may he rest in peace.

36 Engineers are rugged......John Fallon II. Capt. USA Ret.

==============

First photo is of John and Claude - 2008

2nd photo is of the group - 2007 - Claude is top row, fifth from left

post-2-1249144226_thumb.jpg

post-2-1249144737_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   100_0924.JPG (Size: 121.75 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   16_Vets.jpg (Size: 161.94 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Sorry to hear this sad news.

Rest in Peace, soldier.

Erwin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell William Liebenow buk2112 2 3,873 03-03-2017, 08:04 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Farewell William (Bill) Tingen - 101st Airborne Walt's Daughter 4 5,178 02-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Farewell William D. McGuinness - 280th Engineer Walt's Daughter 4 7,142 04-09-2010, 10:26 AM
  Death of Jack Foley sixgun 1 3,157 09-17-2009, 11:23 AM
  Death of Forrest ' Gody" Guth !! sixgun 2 3,718 08-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  Farewell William H. Smoyer ~ Battle of the Bulge Walt's Daughter 0 2,358 08-04-2009, 07:45 AM
  William F White - 48th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 3,293 02-28-2006, 01:24 PM