> Farewell Ray Gonzales - 82nd Airborne Div

Just received this a few minutes ago. My heartfelt condolences to Elena and the rest of Ray's family. He will not be forgotten.

============

Hi Marion, my name is Elena. I was looking for info about my uncle when I ran across your site.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/RayGonzales.htm

I'm sorry to say that my Uncle Ray passed away Wednesday, July 15, 2009. He had a heart attack and never recovered.

He was always extremely proud of his military service, and although I hadn't seen him in years, finding your site reminded me of those visits when he would bring his medals and pictures over to share stories with us.

Thank you for such a wonderful site! My uncle will receive a military burial in Holly, MI on Tuesday, July 21st. If my cousins don't already know about the site, I will tell them about it then. Thank you.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thanks Mare for your email of Rays passing. A true hero.

After his discharge from service in WWII Europe. Ray reinlisted back into the paratroops and went to Korea. On one day he met the challenge and not by accident, but by determionation, led men in his group back over a mountain, under constant enemy fire, having been wounded twice.

For those acts, he earned in one day, the " DISTINGUISHED SERVICE CROSS " for extrordinary heroism, and the " SILVER CROSS " for gallantry in action. Originall he was up for the " MEDAL of HONOR ", but it was down graded to the STAR.

When Papa Art & I last talked to him he said his case was being reviewed in hopes it would again be listed as MOH. We three prety much agreed that it wouldn't happen till after death. Can you imagine the government paying Ray $1000 per month, from 1951 to 2009. That's $696,000. Maybe they have eraced what is due him, but they will never erace what he did for them and us.

I wish I could print here the paper work I have on his movements that day, but my printer is kaput. I tear up every time I read it.

R.I.P. good friend

Chuck, am moving this to Ray's obit. We have a section in the forum for Farewells./... See ya there...

Marion J Chard

Okay I merged your post with mine.

Thanks for you comments. I'm sure the family will appreciate them.

Hugs,

Mare

Marion J Chard

Ray was Papa Art's friend and coworker for many years. Art was very proud of him. I have Ray's autograph in a little book that Art passed around for me. I was thinking of Ray a few days ago and I had no address to contact him.

Bless him.

Well Brooke, we know who is having one hell of a reunion in heaven (hmmm hell in heaven....) :armata_PDT_01:

-o-

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell Donald Burgett - 101st Airborne Walt's Daughter 3 4,797 04-02-2017, 03:53 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Farewell Chief David Beautiful Bald Eagle-82nd Airborne buk2112 2 4,775 07-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Farewell William (Bill) Tingen - 101st Airborne Walt's Daughter 4 5,101 02-24-2015, 07:09 PM
  The passing of Howard Huebner - 82nd Airborne Div Walt's Daughter 1 3,076 11-19-2014, 03:13 PM
  George Magellas - 82nd Airborne Walt's Daughter 0 2,098 11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
  Rest in peace Hugh Ames - 504th PIR - 82nd Airborne Walt's Daughter 4 4,944 06-22-2009, 11:04 AM
  Farewell Melvin Frank Lett - 101st Airborne Walt's Daughter 2 4,119 05-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Ronald
  Farewell Robert M. Murphy - 82nd Airborne Div Walt's Daughter 0 5,335 10-06-2008, 12:27 AM