Where were you or your family? - Pearl Harbor

One of the things I like to ask "experienced" people when I meet them is "Where were you when you heard about Pearl Harbor" I would love to hear fellow members experiences or family members experiences of war. (It will be interesting to hear from our European members what their families talked about when they heard the news of the invasion of Poland, or the blitz or the landings on Sicily)

My mother and her family were listening to a football game on the radio when they announced that Pearl had been attacked. At first they thought it was

a bad joke.

GREAT TOPIC! Can't wait to hear all the stories. Please join in everyone, and let's make this one of our best!

:armata_PDT_37:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

GREAT TOPIC! Can't wait to hear all the stories. Please join in everyone, and let's make this one of our best!

:armata_PDT_37:

I was working at Armours' packing house when we heard of Pearl Harbor. Lied about my

age and got the job. Draft board messed up my date with

a pretty gal, rest is history.

Now some people do yoga then they eat yogurt to stay

slim I guess. I eat yogurt and remember times past.

this is meant for a certain person, hm wonder who?

Rocky,

Where were you when you heard about Hitlers death?

My parents both lived in Detroit at the time (they hadn't met yet), and unfortunately I do not know their stories.
Marion J Chard

Rocky,

Where were you when you heard about Hitlers death?

I think we were still on the North Appenines. I heard

someone gave him some spiked tequila.--- :armata_PDT_19:

"I think we were still on the North Appenines. I heard

someone gave him some spiked tequila.--- "

Too bad someone didn't think of that in 38....

Ya, and it's too bad there were too many "wooses" like Chamberlain who kept appeasing the jack--s!
Marion J Chard

:lol:

I heard someone gave him some spiked tequila.--- :armata_PDT_19:

You should be proud! That means the credit for killing the son-of-a-bitch should go to a Mexican! :lol:

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

My mother (who was 20 and attending Boston Teachers College) was sitting by a radiator reading a book in her home in Roxbury MA. My grandmother was in the kitchen cooking Sunday dinner. My mother's sister Patsy was in the living room, teaching their nephew Fran to dance the jitterbug - when the news came over the radio that the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor.

My father had been drafted in Jan 1941 and had just returned to Camp Edwards the day before (Dec 6th) from the Carolina Maneuvers. He was in the 26th Infantry "Yankee Division" which consisted of about 30,000 draftees from New England and New York. The Division was preparing to muster out and go home for Christmas, my father's paperwork was completed and he expected to be released the next day (Dec8th) along with all the "older men" who were over the age of 28 (Dad was an "old" man of 29). Within hours after the attack on Pearl Harbor, the War Dept placed the YD & Dad's 181st infantry regiment under the 1st Coastal Artillery District and they were sent to locations along the East Coast to guard against potential saboteurs and spies. The YD's 182nd Infantry regiment was re-assigned to "task Force 6814" ,which also included National Guard Units from Illinois & North Dakota,

and deployed to the Pacific Theater in Jan 1942. My father said goodbye to many of his pals from the 182nd on the day they left Camp Edwards. Task Force 6814 eventually was renamed the "Americal Division" and was the first Army division to enter combat in the war, landing on Guadalcanal in October 1942. The rest of the YD would enter the war as part of General Patton's Third Army, arriving in France in Sept 1944. These were the men that my father knew & trained with for most of 1941, into 1942. His 206th MP company was attached to VI Corps in 1942 and deployed overseas to North Africa March 1943.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Twilight for Pearl Harbor Survivors Walt's Daughter 0 2,415 12-07-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor closed indefinitely Walt's Daughter 1 2,693 05-28-2018, 05:41 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Pearl Harbor 75 years CaptO 2 5,415 12-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  The Attack On Pearl Harbor - December 7, 1941 sixgun 7 7,154 12-08-2014, 09:55 AM
  Remember Pearl Harbor sixgun 3 4,079 12-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Clementine
  Family members return to Malmedy Walt's Daughter 1 2,571 06-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels
  Pearl Harbor Day ! sixgun 11 10,069 12-08-2009, 02:18 AM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  My family members serving in WWII Wendy 17 17,251 10-24-2009, 07:30 AM
  We Remember Pearl Harbor Day! Walt's Daughter 12 11,887 12-07-2008, 10:27 AM
  Out of the Attic - Family Memoirs Walt's Daughter 4 4,943 11-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Jeeper704