Rest in peace Hugh Ames - 504th PIR - 82nd Airborne

Many of you have read the post regarding me being nominated for an Army Certificate of Appreciation from my dear friend, Hugh Ames (see post)

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/eng...?showtopic=5707

I wondered why I hadn't heard from him in the last two weeks, and now I know, for I just received an email informing me he passed away on D-DAY, June 6, 2009. I had just mailed him a THANK-YOU card this week, for being so sweet and thinking of me; a card he will never receive. Oh dear!

His son Mark had evidently sent me an email on June 6, but for some reason I never received it. Today I got an email and this is what it said:

June 6, 2009

Hugh Stanley Ames, 84, of Kailua, a retired Air Force chief master sergeant, died in Castle Medical Center. He was born in Havana, Cuba. He is survived by wife Beatrice, son Mark, daughters Zoe James and Maridee Bonadea, stepchildren Aileen Delgado and Charles Comer Jr., six grandchildren, 13 step-grandchildren and 17 step-great-grandchildren. Mass: 10 a.m. Tuesday 23 June at St. Anthony's Church in Kailua. Call after 9 a.m. Burial: 1 p.m. at Hawaii State Veterans Cemetery, Kaneohe.

=============

Hugh passed away peacefully just after 2300hrs Hawaiian time, Saturday 6 June 2009,surrounded by his family. May he rest in peace...

=============

Hugh will be buried at the Hawaiian Memorial Park Cemetery in Kaneohe Hawaii, in the Veterans section.

Due to scheduling issues wit the park, the funeral will not happen until 23 June. If you plan to attend, please contact St Anthony's, Kailua, closer to the day to confirm details.

Unfortunately, my sisters and I (Hugh's children) will be dispersing to Africa, Australia, and North America on Saturday. I'll be back later in July fro a visit.

We're still waiting to hear from the local contact of the 82nd Airborne to assist with organizing the military honors. The funeral home are also trying to confirm his service history, as we don't have full official documentation back to 1942.

Aloha,

Mark Ames

=============

I will keep his site running for him, and I know this will please him. It's my honor my friend. I shall come up with something nice and post when ready.

:14_2_108:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I finally got myself together, and posted his obit on his site. That was very hard to do. :unsure:

I have copied a prayer he loved, which he had me place on his home page, several months ago. It seems fitting to copy it here now:

The Paratroopers St. Michael Prayer

Lord God, hear my call, as through the sky I fall.

Satan you once were cast from here.

My static line have hooked to hold,

and then my chute to make unfold.

Suspension lines untangled be

and open my canopy.

From other jumpers float me clear,

As safely down I persevere.

On angels wings, I hit the ground.

My Father's favor, I have found.

In thanks, St. Michael I do pray.

For God has helped me--ALL THE WAY.

Amen

(Thanks to Chaplain Lawrence Krause's "Farewell to the 82d Airborne Division and the 82d Airborne Division Association publication "PARAGLIDE")

:1032:

Marion J Chard

Please accept our deepest sympathy.

Vee

post-256-1245678713_thumb.jpg R.I.P.

Attached Files
.jpg   preach3.jpg (Size: 8.96 KB / Downloads: 0)

Very beautiful. Thank you!

:huggybears:

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell Donald Burgett - 101st Airborne Walt's Daughter 3 4,799 04-02-2017, 03:53 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Rest in Peace - Ed Saraniero - 48th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 4,829 12-14-2016, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Farewell Chief David Beautiful Bald Eagle-82nd Airborne buk2112 2 4,776 07-29-2016, 12:54 PM
  Rest in Peace - Paul Fogel - 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 2 4,290 12-11-2015, 04:16 PM
  Farewell William (Bill) Tingen - 101st Airborne Walt's Daughter 4 5,101 02-24-2015, 07:09 PM
  The passing of Howard Huebner - 82nd Airborne Div Walt's Daughter 1 3,076 11-19-2014, 03:13 PM
  George Magellas - 82nd Airborne Walt's Daughter 0 2,099 11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
  Rest in Peace, Forest Boyd, U.S.N Wendy 1 3,124 07-20-2009, 10:31 PM
  > Farewell Ray Gonzales - 82nd Airborne Div Walt's Daughter 5 6,119 07-20-2009, 09:27 PM
  Rest in Peace - Darrell "Shifty" Powers Walt's Daughter 5 5,881 07-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas